Civil vs Mechanical Engineering - Structural

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision between studying civil or mechanical engineering for specializing in structural engineering. The person is interested in large structures and seismic waves, and their advisor suggests staying with civil engineering due to structural calculations being PE stamped by civil engineers and tied to building codes. The speaker, who is a practicing mechanical engineer, also confirms that structural engineering is an interesting profession.
NJDevilsFan26
Hey,

I am currently a sophomore Civil Engineering student, however I'm not sure whether I should be studying civil or mechanical (based off what I want to get into). Basically, I want to specialize at some point in the structural aspect, however, I know each field branches off into this category.

I want to deal more so with large structures (buildings, bridges, etc) and I'm particularly interested in waves (seismic waves). My adviser told me to stay with CE, however, ME's actually take a class that deal with vibrations (I don't think CE's take any classes on this stuff in undergrad).

So, is this specific area of structural engineering more involved within the CE or ME field?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stay with civil engineering for structural work. The reason: structural calculations are PE stamped by civil engineers and tied to building codes. While mechanical engineering is tied to piping codes, boiler & pressure vessel code, and machine design.

BTW, structural engineering is a very interesting profession. I am a practicing mechanical engineer, but perform quite a bit of structural calculations.

Alright, cool. Thanks.

FAQ: Civil vs Mechanical Engineering - Structural

1. What is the difference between civil and mechanical engineering?

Civil engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of structures and infrastructure, such as buildings, bridges, roads, and water systems. Mechanical engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the design and production of mechanical systems, such as machines, engines, and tools.

2. What is the main focus of structural engineering?

Structural engineering is a sub-discipline of civil engineering that specifically deals with the design and analysis of structures, including buildings, bridges, and other load-bearing structures. The main focus of structural engineering is to ensure that these structures are safe, stable, and able to withstand various types of loads and forces.

3. How do civil and mechanical engineers contribute to structural engineering?

Civil engineers often play a lead role in the design and construction of structures, while mechanical engineers may work on specific systems or components within a structure. Both disciplines bring unique perspectives and skills to the field of structural engineering, with civil engineers focusing on the overall design and construction process, and mechanical engineers specializing in the mechanical systems and components within a structure.

4. What types of projects do civil and mechanical engineers typically work on?

Civil engineers often work on large-scale projects, such as the design and construction of highways, airports, and water treatment plants. Mechanical engineers, on the other hand, may work on a variety of projects, including the design of heating and cooling systems for buildings, or the development of new machinery or equipment.

5. How does the education and training differ for civil and mechanical engineers?

Both civil and mechanical engineers typically have a bachelor's degree in their respective disciplines. However, the courses and training may differ, with civil engineering programs focusing more on structural design, materials, and construction, and mechanical engineering programs emphasizing topics such as thermodynamics, mechanics, and manufacturing processes. Additionally, both disciplines may require specialized training and certifications for specific areas of focus, such as structural engineering for civil engineers and HVAC design for mechanical engineers.

Back