Clarification in the definition of particle

In summary, in classical mechanics, a particle is defined as an idealized body that occupies a single point in space and has no internal structure. This means that it cannot be divided into smaller components and is considered as a single object. However, there is some disagreement with this definition as some argue that even particles with internal structure, such as protons, can still be considered as particles in classical mechanics. Ultimately, a particle is something that can be counted and has quantized lumps of energy.
manimaran1605
A red a book in classical mechanics , the author says A particle is an idealised body that occupies only a single point of space and has no internal structure clarify me these terms Idealised body and Internal structure

Physics news on Phys.org
I disagree with that definition. Idealised body doesn't mean anything special. Internal structure means what it is made of or what is inside. An atom has internal structure because it is made of electrons and a nucleus. The internal structure of a nucleus is protons and neutrons.
Protons are made of quarks. But it's silly to say a proton is not a particle. Of course it is. So that definition is wrong.

A particle is something that you can count. Quantized lumps of energy. I don't know of a better definition.

Likes 1 person
Khashishi said:
I disagree with that definition.

OP was asking in the context of classical mechanics, and in that context the definition is just fine.

Loosely speaking, an idealized body with no internal structure is one with no spatial extension (we can say that it is at a single point in space, as opposed to something like a bacterium, which occupies a volume of space a few microns wide), and "no internal structure" means that we cannot divide the body into smaller components that we can analyze separately.

Likes 1 person
A fundamental particle cannot be divided further. A composite particle is something that is composed of smaller parts, but can be treated as a single object. By single object, I mean the parts are all bound together, so the group can move around as a unit.

Likes 1 person

FAQ: Clarification in the definition of particle

1. What is the definition of a particle?

A particle is a small unit of matter that exists in the physical world. It can be a solid, liquid, gas, or plasma and is made up of atoms, molecules, or subatomic particles.

2. How do particles differ from waves?

Particles and waves are two different ways to describe the behavior of matter. Particles have a fixed position and can interact with other particles, while waves have no fixed position and can pass through each other.

3. Can particles be seen with the naked eye?

Particles are generally too small to be seen with the naked eye. They can only be observed using specialized equipment, such as microscopes.

4. Are there different types of particles?

Yes, there are many different types of particles, including subatomic particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons, as well as composite particles such as atoms and molecules.

5. How are particles studied in science?

Particles are studied in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology. Scientists use a range of techniques and equipment, such as particle accelerators and spectroscopy, to study the properties and behavior of particles.