Clashing perspectives between just finding a job and following your passion

In summary, the conversation discusses the conflicting views of the speaker's parents and others regarding their career path. The speaker's parents want them to switch from chemical engineering to statistics in order to secure a good paying job and settle down, while others encourage following one's passions. The speaker acknowledges the job prospects of chemical engineering and asserts that their parents should not decide their career path for them, regardless of their chosen field. The conversation also touches on the issue of obtaining a green card.
mrund3rd09
I come from Asian ethnicity, and my parents constantly want me to switch from chem e to stats. from what they've seen, a lot of international students get a phd in something, and they can't find jobs afterward. The main concern for them seems to be to simply find a good paying job and settling down. And I've heard some bad horror stories

On the other hand, people other than my parents and outside their little Asian group tell young people to follow their passions and success will follow. To a certain extent, that's true as well. But then again, there is this green card issue.

just curious, what's your perspective?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chemical engineering has some of the best job prospects out there, and I'm pretty sure you don't need a PhD in it. You can't let your parents decide your life for you. Tell them that it's your life. They should support your choice, even if you become an art major.

FAQ: Clashing perspectives between just finding a job and following your passion

1. What are the potential consequences of choosing a job solely based on financial stability rather than following your passion?

Choosing a job solely based on financial stability can lead to a lack of fulfillment and satisfaction in your career. You may find yourself feeling unfulfilled and unmotivated, which can negatively impact your mental health and overall well-being. Additionally, you may miss out on opportunities to develop your skills and pursue your passions, leading to a lack of personal growth and potential regret in the long run.

2. How can one balance the need for financial stability with pursuing their passion?

It is important to find a balance between financial stability and pursuing your passion. This may involve finding a job that aligns with your interests and allows you to develop your skills in a relevant field. You can also consider pursuing your passion as a side hustle or hobby while maintaining a stable job. Another option is to save up and plan for a career shift in the future, allowing you to have both financial stability and follow your passion.

3. Is it possible to find a job that combines both financial stability and passion?

Yes, it is possible to find a job that combines both financial stability and passion. This may involve exploring different industries and job roles to find one that aligns with both your interests and financial needs. It may also involve negotiating with potential employers for a salary that meets your financial requirements while allowing you to pursue your passion.

4. How important is it to follow your passion in your career?

Following your passion in your career can lead to a more fulfilling and satisfying work life. It can also lead to personal growth, as you are more likely to be motivated and engaged in your work when it aligns with your interests and values. However, it is important to note that everyone's definition of success and fulfillment may differ, and following your passion may not be the right path for everyone.

5. What factors should be considered when deciding between a job and following your passion?

When making a decision between a job and following your passion, it is important to consider your financial needs, personal goals, and values. You should also evaluate the potential for growth and development in both options and assess the level of satisfaction and fulfillment each would bring. It may also be helpful to seek advice from mentors or career counselors to gain a different perspective on the decision.