Classical Field Theory: Prerequisites for Learning

In summary, the prerequisites for learning classical field theory include understanding the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics of point masses, knowledge of partial differential equations and how to apply Fourier transforms, and familiarity with vector calculus and basic theory on distributions. It is also recommended to study classical electrodynamics, such as in Griffiths' textbook, as an introduction to the subject. While knowledge of the renormalization group is important in quantum field theory, it is not a prerequisite for learning classical field theory. For those interested in studying general relativity, it is recommended to also look at Landau+Lifshitz vol. II, but it is suggested to first study a more conventional book on electrodynamics.
Jianphys17
Hi, i would be curious to know what would be the prerequisites for learning the classical field theory !

Physics news on Phys.org
You first have to understand the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics of point masses, and also know something about partial differential equations and how to apply Fourier transforms.

And also, in particular I wondered if RG's knowledge was needed..

Take a classical electrodynamics textbook, and you have the paradigmatic example of a classical field theory. What's needed first of all is vector calculus (div, grad, curl, line, surface, volume integrals, Helmholtz's fundmental theorem), augmented by a bit of basic theory on distributions like the Dirac ##\delta## distribution and some Fourier integrals. I think Griffiths book is pretty good as an introduction, including the aforementioned math prerequisites.

What do you mean by RG (I hate unexplained acronyms!)? I know it as abbreviation for "renormalization group", but that's for sure not needed in classical field theory. In QFT it's of course a very important thing, but something you learn when studying QFT not a prerequisite.

I'd like to plug "Classical Field Theory" by Davison E. Soper as something one might look at. It covers quite a bit of ground that isn't treated in the usual high energy texts. It's a Dover book so it's cheep.

Not, Sorry for the acronym, GR is for general relativity...

For GR I recommend Landau+Lifshitz vol. II. It's also great for electrodynamics in the relativistically covariant formulation, but I'd recommend to study a less advanced more conventional book on E&M like Griffiths first.

Likes Jianphys17

Related to Classical Field Theory: Prerequisites for Learning

1. What is Classical Field Theory?

Classical Field Theory is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of fields, which are physical quantities that vary in space and time. It is based on the principles of classical mechanics and electromagnetism and is used to understand and describe the dynamics of physical systems.

2. What are the prerequisites for learning Classical Field Theory?

The prerequisites for learning Classical Field Theory include a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. A good understanding of classical mechanics and electromagnetism is also essential.

3. How is Classical Field Theory different from Quantum Field Theory?

Classical Field Theory and Quantum Field Theory are two different approaches to studying the behavior of fields. Classical Field Theory uses classical mechanics and electromagnetism to describe the dynamics of fields, while Quantum Field Theory incorporates the principles of quantum mechanics to study the behavior of fields at the subatomic level.

4. What are some applications of Classical Field Theory?

Classical Field Theory has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used to study the dynamics of objects in motion, such as particles and fluids. It is also used to understand the behavior of electromagnetic fields and gravitational fields.

5. How is Classical Field Theory relevant to current scientific research?

Classical Field Theory is still a relevant and important field of study in current scientific research. It is used in many areas, such as cosmology, particle physics, and materials science, to understand and describe the behavior of physical systems. It also provides the foundation for many advanced theories and models used in modern physics.