Classical mechanics : constant acceleration

In summary, the bee travels a total of 133.2166 meters between the start and the moment the cyclists cross. The average velocity of the bee is 11.0 meters per second.
REVIANNA

Homework Statement

Two cyclists, Anant and Beth, are standing on a straight road a distance d=22.0 m apart. Simultaneously, they begin to move toward each other, Anant with acceleration a_A=0.2 m/s^2 and Beth with acceleration a_b=0.10 m/s^2.

Just as they begin to move, a bee, sitting on Anant’s helmet, begins to fly toward Beth at a constant speed v=11.0m/s. Once the bee reaches Beth, it instantly turns around and flies back toward Anant. As the cyclists move toward each other, the bee continues to fly back-and-forth between the two until they pass each other. The speed of the bee remains constant.How long does it take for the riders to pass each other?

What is the distance covered by the bee between the start and the moment Anant and Beth pass each other?

What is the average velocity of the bee between the start and the moment Anant and Beth pass each other?[/B]

Homework Equations

x_0 for anant =0
x_0 for beth=22

The Attempt at a Solution

I found out the time it takes for them to cross each other.
0.5*0.2*t^2=22-(0.5*0.1*t^2)
therefore t=12.11060 seconds

I correctly found the distance covered by the bee
time* constant speed=12.11060*11=133.2166 m

but I trouble finding AVERAGE VELOCITY because I don't how to think about the DISPLACEMENT of the bee.

Physics news on Phys.org
REVIANNA said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I found out the time it takes for them to cross each other.
0.5*0.2*t^2=22-(0.5*0.1*t^2)
therefore t=12.11060 seconds

I correctly found the distance covered by the bee
time* constant speed=12.11060*11=133.2166 m

but I trouble finding AVERAGE VELOCITY because I don't how to think about the DISPLACEMENT of the bee.
Welcome to PF Revianna!

Average velocity is just the total displacement divided by total time. So you have to find the location of the point at which the cyclists cross. The displacement of that point relative to the point where the fly started its journey is the total displacement.

AM

Likes REVIANNA
Andrew Mason said:
Welcome to PF Revianna!

Average velocity is just the total displacement divided by total time. So you have to find the location of the point at which the cyclists cross. The displacement of that point relative to the point where the fly started its journey is the total displacement.

AM

The trouble isn't finding the average velocity. It will be zero considering in directional aspect, it goes no where. So its direction vector will be zero. But how many times the bee goes back and forth is the real trouble. Because every second the distance between them decreases so bee travels less distance and spends less time to reach one person from the other. I see no way but to cross reference it. A multi-valued chart would be easy to find that bit I think

Likes REVIANNA
Simanto Rahman said:
The trouble isn't finding the average velocity. It will be zero considering in directional aspect, it goes no where. So its direction vector will be zero. But how many times the bee goes back and forth is the real trouble. Because every second the distance between them decreases so bee travels less distance and spends less time to reach one person from the other. I see no way but to cross reference it. A multi-valued chart would be easy to find that bit I think
The fly ends up traveling from Point A (the position of Anant's helmet at time 0) to Point B (the position of Anant's helmet 12.11 seconds later). So you cannot say that its velocity is zero. Its average velocity is that displacement divided by 12.11 seconds, which is clearly not zero.

AM

Likes REVIANNA
So you cannot say that its velocity is zero.

I see your point. I guess I put in the Work aspect instead of velocity aspect. But I don't think I was far off about the distance problem. It is going back and forth and every time traveling less and less distance for lesser time. So the whole calculation would require individual calculation of the distance the bee travels each time it reaches from one person to the other.

@Andrew Mason
your suggestion to : calculate the position where the cyclists cross (by substituting the time found in the displacement equation) and the displacement of that point relative to the point where the fly started i.e x=0 its journey is the total displacement WORKS.

but how do you know that the BACK AND FORTH motion of the fly exactly equals the displacement of the cyclists.

Andrew Mason said:
The fly ends up traveling from Point A (the position of Anant's helmet at time 0) to Point B (the position of Anant's helmet 12.11 seconds later). So you cannot say that its velocity is zero. Its average velocity is that displacement divided by 12.11 seconds, which is clearly not zero.

so we just have to think about the definition of displacement i.e final position (where they cross) - initial position x=0?

A displacement is the shortest distance from the initial to the final position of a point P. Thus, it is the length of an imaginary straight path, typically distinct from the path actually traveled by P. A displacement vector represents the length and direction of this imaginary straight path.

Likes REVIANNA
Simanto Rahman said:
I see your point. I guess I put in the Work aspect instead of velocity aspect. But I don't think I was far off about the distance problem. It is going back and forth and every time traveling less and less distance for lesser time. So the whole calculation would require individual calculation of the distance the bee travels each time it reaches from one person to the other.
Revianna already found the scalar distance covered. It follows very easily from the first part of the question (the time taken for the two cyclists to meet).

REVIANNA said:
so we just have to think about the definition of displacement i.e final position (where they cross) - initial position x=0?
The displacement from A to B is a vector drawn with tail at A and arrow head at B whose length represents the straight line distance between A and B in the inertial rest frame of the earth. In this case we are dealing with two dimensional vectors so the vector direction is one of two directions along the x-axis ie. either + or -.
REVIANNA said:
but how do you know that the BACK AND FORTH motion of the fly exactly equals the displacement of the cyclists.
Because the question says that he starts at Anant's helmet when the two cyclists are 22 m apart and he goes back and forth between Anant and Beth until they cross paths (ie. until Anant and Beth have the same x coordinate position).

AM

Related to Classical mechanics : constant acceleration

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time, while the direction of the acceleration remains constant. It is represented by the symbol 'a' and measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. How is constant acceleration calculated?

Constant acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. What is the difference between constant acceleration and uniform motion?

Constant acceleration refers to an object's velocity changing at a constant rate, while uniform motion refers to an object moving at a constant velocity. In other words, constant acceleration involves a change in velocity, while uniform motion does not.

5. How is classical mechanics used in everyday life?

Classical mechanics is used in many aspects of everyday life, such as driving a car, playing sports, and even walking. It helps us understand and predict the motion of objects and how forces affect them. It is also the basis for other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics and electromagnetism.