Classical mechanics question (pendulum)

In summary: I just miscopied the text and I'm sorry.In summary, the student attempted to solve an equation for phi but did not properly account for the factor of 2 in the integrand.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

131333.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done part a, I have no idea on part b, here is my attempt,
phy.png

Attachments

• 131333.png
    131333.png
    56 KB · Views: 1,239
  • phy.png
    phy.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 952
Physics news on Phys.org
This is all very confusing. What is ##\phi##? The radical in the first line of your development should be ##\sqrt{\sin^2(\theta_0/2)-\sin^2(\theta/2)}##. Also, the rest of the stuff in the integrand doesn't look right either. Please show your steps in more detail.

Likes Clara Chung
kuruman said:
This is all very confusing. What is ##\phi##? The radical in the first line of your development should be ##\sqrt{\sin^2(\theta_0/2)-\sin^2(\theta/2)}##. Also, the rest of the stuff in the integrand doesn't look right either. Please show your steps in more detail.
Ummm phi is theta o ...and I changed the integral in part a to the integral in the attempt by substituting x = sin(theta/2) / sin ( theta o)
Then dx = cos (theta/2) / 2sin(theta o) d(theta)

I think you're OK so far (after realizing that ##\phi = \theta_0##). In the expression ##\frac{dx}{\cos \left(\theta / 2 \right)}##, express ##\cos \left(\theta / 2 \right)## in terms of ##x##.

Likes Clara Chung
TSny said:
I think you're OK so far (after realizing that ##\phi = \theta_0##). In the expression ##\frac{dx}{\cos \left(\theta / 2 \right)}##, express ##\cos \left(\theta / 2 \right)## in terms of ##x##.

(I am using a as theta and b as theta o because I can't type them)
dx/cos(a/2) = dx / √(1-sin^2(x)sin^2(b))
So its approximation is
dx / {1-sin^2(x)sin^2(b)/2} ?

Clara Chung said:
So its approximation is
dx / {1-sin^2(x)sin^2(b)/2} ?
EDIT: Did you mean to have (b/2) as the argument in sin2(b)?

You can continue to simplify this using the fact that b is small.

You can enter Greek letters by using the tool bar. Click on Σ.
upload_2017-11-8_21-3-19.png

There are also buttons on the tool bar for superscript and subscript.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-8_21-3-19.png
    upload_2017-11-8_21-3-19.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 851
Likes Clara Chung
Clara Chung said:
Another approach is to use the small angle approximation directly on ##\frac{1}{\cos \left( \theta /2 \right)}## rather than first expressing ##\cos \left(\theta /2 \right)## in terms of ##\sin \left(\theta /2 \right)##. But your method will work also with about the same amount of effort.

Likes Clara Chung
TSny said:
EDIT: Did you mean to have (b/2) as the argument in sin2(b)?

You can continue to simplify this using the fact that b is small.

You can enter Greek letters by using the tool bar. Click on Σ.
View attachment 214652

There are also buttons on the tool bar for superscript and subscript.
12.png

Still ∅ is θ0

Attachments

• 12.png
    12.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 395
When you used the trig identity to rewrite the integrand in terms of sine, what happened to the factor of 2 multiplying ##\sin^2##?

In post #8, should ##\phi## stand for ##\theta_0## or ##\theta_0 / 2##?

Likes Clara Chung
TSny said:
In post #8, should ##\phi## stand for ##\theta_0## or ##\theta_0 / 2##?
Theta o only

Clara Chung said:
Theta o only
Ahhh I understand it should be θ0 / 2

Related to Classical mechanics question (pendulum)

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight or mass suspended from a fixed point that is able to swing back and forth due to the force of gravity.

2. What factors affect the motion of a pendulum?

The motion of a pendulum is affected by its length, mass, and the force of gravity. Other factors that can affect its motion include air resistance and the angle at which it is released.

3. What is the formula for calculating the period of a pendulum?

The formula for calculating the period of a pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the length of a pendulum affect its period?

The length of a pendulum is directly proportional to its period, meaning that as the length increases, the period also increases. This relationship is described by the formula T = 2π√(L/g).

5. Can a pendulum's motion ever be perfectly periodic?

In theory, a pendulum's motion can be perfectly periodic if there is no air resistance or friction present. However, in real-world situations, there will always be some external factors that can affect its motion, making it less than perfectly periodic.

Back