Classical mechanics - sphere attached to rod

In summary, the rod has mass m, length 2a, and sphere has mass M, and radius a. The rod has rotational energy around its pivot and the sphere has rotational energy around its center of mass.
Ene Dene

Homework Statement

I need to find equations of motion of system on picture. It is easy when one finds Lagrangian so I am not asking you to calculate it, but I'm not sure if I correctly calculated the kinetic energy, so If anyone can verify, I would be greatfull.
The rod has mass m, length 2a, and sphere has mass M, and radius a.

The Attempt at a Solution

The rod:
[tex]E_{rod}=\frac{1}{2}mv_{CM_{rod}}+\frac{1}{2}I_{rod}\dot{\theta}^2[/tex]
Where I took [tex]I[/tex] of rod to be [tex]\frac{1}{3}m(2a)^2[/tex], over the edge of rod, not [tex]\frac{1}{12}m(2a)^2[/tex], inertia over center of mass of rod.

The same goes for the sphere:
[tex]E_{sphere}=\frac{1}{2}Mv_{CM_{sphere}}+\frac{1}{2}I_{sphere}\dot{\varphi}^2[/tex]
Where I took moment of intertia over point of connection of rod and sphere. [tex]I_{sphere}=I_{CM_{sphere}}+Ma^2[/tex].

Is this correct, or did I missed something?

Attachments

• system.JPG
    system.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
for the energy of the rod:

If you use the edge of the rod as fixed point, then you only need the rotational energy of the rod.

If you use the center of mass of the rod, then:
[tex]T_{\text{rod}}=\frac{1}{2}M\dot{R}_{cm}^2+\frac{1}{2}I_{cm}\dot{\omega}^2[/tex]

same goes for the sphere, if you use the center of mass, then be consistent. find kinetic energy of the motion of the center of mass, then find the rotational energy around the center of mass.

In general, if you use a non-fixed point as the frame in calculating the rotational energy, then you need the kinetic energy of that non-fixed point. It's best to stick with the CM.

if you want the proof:
[tex]2T=\sum m_i \dot{r_i}^2=\sum m_i \left ( {\dot{r_i}'+\dot{R}}\left )^2=\sum m_i \dot{r_i}'^2+\sum m_i \dot{R}^2+2\sum m_i \dot{R}\bullet\dot{r_i}'[/tex]

if R is defined to be the CM, then the last term goes to zero, thus:
[tex]2T=\sum m_i \dot{r_i}'^2+\sum m_i \dot{R}_{cm}^2=\sum m_i \dot{r_i}'^2+M \dot{R}_{cm}^2[/tex]

if R is an arbitrary fixed point but not at the CM, then R dot is zero:
[tex]2T=\sum m_i \dot{r_i}'^2[/tex]

you see, for the rod, you used the pivot as the fixed point, then you should use the third equation, which is simply the rotational energy around the pivot (so, use rotational inertia around the pivot). If you switch to the CM frame, use the second equation (get a term for the kinetic energy around CM, then use the rotational inertia around the CM).

for the sphere, if you use an arbitrary point (connection between the rod and the sphere), then you use the first equation, which involves 3 terms (DO NOT neglect the third term), if you use the cm as the frame of reference, then use the second equations, which has two terms, namely, rotation around the CM and the kinetic energy of the CM.

Last edited:
It seems that I wrongly understood theory that solves such problems. Thank you for the explenation. Nevertheless I would like if you could check if I did it correctly:

The rod:
[tex]E_{rod}=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{r}_{cm}^2+\frac{1}{2}I_{cm}\dot{\theta}^2[/tex]
[tex]E_{rod}=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x}_{cm}^2+\dot{y}_{cm}^2 )+\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{12}m(2a)^2\dot{\theta}^2[/tex]
[tex]x_{cm}=a\cdot{sin\theta} \Rightarrow \dot{x}_{cm}=a\cdot{cos\theta}\cdot{\dot{\theta}}[/tex]
[tex]y_{cm}=a\cdot{cos\theta} \Rightarrow \dot{y}_{cm}=-a\cdot{sin\theta}\cdot{\dot{\theta}}[/tex]
[tex]E_{rod}=\frac{2}{3}ma^2\dot{\theta^2}[/tex]

I get the same result if I take fixed edge of rod, and for translation take 0(edge is not moving), just as you said:

[tex]E_{rod}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{3}(2a)^2m\dot{\theta}^ 2=\frac{2}{3}ma^2\dot{\theta^2}[/tex]

And now, here is a sphere:

[tex]E_{sphere}=\frac{1}{2}M\dot{r}_{cm}^2+\frac{1}{2}I_{cm}({\dot{\theta}+\dot{\phi}})^2[/tex]
[tex]E_{sphere}=\frac{1}{2}M(\dot{x}_{cm}^2+\dot{y}_{cm}^2)+\frac{1}{2}\frac{2}{5}Ma^2({\dot{\theta}+\dot{\phi}})^2[/tex]
where:
[tex]x_{cm}=2a\cdot{sin\theta}+a\cdot{sin(\theta+\phi)[/tex]
[tex]y_{cm}=2a\cdot{cos\theta}+a\cdot{cos(\theta+\phi)[/tex]
etc.

Is this correct kinetic energy for sphere?

i don't think the phi dot should be in the rotational energy of the sphere. pretend you are in the frame of the sphere. the rotation of the sphere depends solely on phi dot.

other than that, the equation looks good.

Related to Classical mechanics - sphere attached to rod

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of macroscopic objects such as particles, rigid bodies, and fluids. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation as described by Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. How does a sphere attached to a rod behave in classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, a sphere attached to a rod is considered a simple harmonic oscillator. This means that it oscillates back and forth around its equilibrium position due to the forces acting on it. The motion of the sphere can be described using equations derived from Newton's laws of motion.

3. What factors affect the motion of a sphere attached to a rod in classical mechanics?

The motion of a sphere attached to a rod in classical mechanics is affected by several factors, including the mass of the sphere, the length and stiffness of the rod, and the forces acting on the system (such as gravity or friction). The initial conditions of the system, such as the starting position and velocity of the sphere, also play a role in determining its motion.

4. How is energy conserved in a sphere attached to a rod in classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, energy is conserved in a sphere attached to a rod through the principle of conservation of mechanical energy. This means that the total energy of the system, which includes both kinetic energy (due to the motion of the sphere) and potential energy (due to the position of the sphere), remains constant as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of classical mechanics for a sphere attached to a rod?

Classical mechanics is used in many real-world applications involving a sphere attached to a rod, such as pendulum clocks, springs in mattresses, and shock absorbers in cars. It is also used in the study of elastic collisions and in the analysis of motion in sports, such as the movement of a baseball bat hitting a ball.

Back