Classical Optics / Lagrange multipliers

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ray of light entering a glass block with a given refractive index and thickness and determining the optimal angle of incidence to maximize the perpendicular distance between two reflected rays. The problem is solved using the Lagrange multipliers method, with the final solution being θ1 = arsin(sqrt(n2 - sqrt(n4 - n2))). However, it is also noted that this problem can be solved using simple geometry and inspection.
eutectic

Homework Statement

A ray of light enters a glass block of refractive index n and thickness d with angle of incidence θ1. Part of the ray refracts at some angle θ2 such that Snell's law is obeyed, and the rest undergoes specular reflection. The refracted ray reflects off the bottom of the block and then refracts back out. How should θ1 be chosen to maximize the perpendicular distance x between the ray which reflects off the surface, and the ray which reflects off the bottom of the block and refracts back into the atmosphere?

This problem seems a natural fit for Lagrange multipliers, but I am open to other approaches.

Homework Equations

If we let x(θ12) be the objective function and sin(θ1) = n sin(θ2) the constraint, then we get

∇f(θ12,λ) = 0, where f(θ12,λ) = x(θ12) - λ(sin(θ1) - n sin(θ2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I derived x to be equal to d tan(θ2) / sin(θ1), giving a final answer of θ1 = arsin(sqrt(n2-1)), but this does not seem physically reasonable. Can anyone spot where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not sure that you get a local maximum. Drawing a picture, you can express the distance between the rays with simple geometry and get the maximum with inspection.

ehild

I solved it!

It turns out that I had my equation for x wrong. If we let u = 2d tan(θ2) denote the distance between the point where the ray enters the block and the point where it exits, and we take the entry point to be the origin, then the first reflected ray has equation y = x*tan(90-θ1), and the ray emerging from the block has equation y = (x - u)tan(90-θ1).

The perpendicular distance (x) between these lines is then u tan(90-θ1) / sqrt(1+tan2(90-θ1)) = 2 d tan(θ2) cos(θ1), rather than my original answer of d tan(θ2) / sin(θ1). This gives us the lagrange equation f(θ1,θ2,λ) = 2 d tan(θ2) cos(θ1) - λ (sin(θ1) - n sin(θ2)).

Taking partial derivatives, we get -2d sin(θ1)tan(θ2) + λ cos(θ1) = 0, and 2d cos(θ1)sec22) - λn cos(θ2) = 0.

Dividing through and cancelling gives us n cos22)sin(θ1)sin(θ2) = cos21).

Applying the relations sin(θ2) = sin(θ1) / n and sin2(x) + cos2(x) = 1 reduces this to n (1 - (sin(θ1)/n)2) * sin21) / n = 1 - sin21).

This simplifies down to sin41) + n2(1-2 sin21)) = 0.

Finally, we apply the quadratic equation formula.

θ1 = arsin(sqrt(n2 - sqrt(n4 - n2)))

eutectic said:

It is correct, good job! But why was the Lagrange multipliers method needed? It did not make the calculations easier.

Turn to θ2 as variable,

[tex]\cos\theta_1=\sqrt{1-n^2\sin(\theta_2)^2}[/tex]

[tex]f=2d\tan(\theta_2)\sqrt{1-n^2\sin(\theta_2)^2}[/tex]

Take the derivative with respect to θ2: you get maximum distance at [tex]\sin^2\theta_2=1-\sqrt{1-1/n^2}[/tex] that is, when [tex]\sin^2(\theta_1)=n^2\sin^2\theta_2=n^2-\sqrt{n^4-n^2}[/tex]

ehild

eutectic said:
It turns out that I had my equation for x wrong. If we let u = 2d tan(θ2) denote the distance between the point where the ray enters the block and the point where it exits, and we take the entry point to be the origin, then the first reflected ray has equation y = x*tan(90-θ1), and the ray emerging from the block has equation y = (x - u)tan(90-θ1).

The perpendicular distance (x) between these lines is then u tan(90-θ1) / sqrt(1+tan2(90-θ1)) = 2 d tan(θ2) cos(θ1), rather than my original answer of d tan(θ2) / sin(θ1). This gives us the lagrange equation f(θ1,θ2,λ) = 2 d tan(θ2) cos(θ1) - λ (sin(θ1) - n sin(θ2)).

Taking partial derivatives, we get -2d sin(θ1)tan(θ2) + λ cos(θ1) = 0, and 2d cos(θ1)sec22) - λn cos(θ2) = 0.

Dividing through and cancelling gives us n cos22)sin(θ1)sin(θ2) = cos21).

Applying the relations sin(θ2) = sin(θ1) / n and sin2(x) + cos2(x) = 1 reduces this to n (1 - (sin(θ1)/n)2) * sin21) / n = 1 - sin21).

Your expressions are written incorrectly, and I am concerned that you may not even know why they are incorrect. When you write things like ##\tan(90-\theta)## you are using degrees to measure angles. If you do that, all the usual formulas for derivatives fail, and need to be modified. So, if you want to use the standard differentiation formulas you need to measure angles in radians, hence write things like ##\tan(\pi/2 - \theta)##, etc.

Yes, I am aware of the distinction between radians and degrees. I doubt that this is likely to cause anyone much confusion.

Related to Classical Optics / Lagrange multipliers

What is classical optics?

Classical optics is the study of light and its behavior using the laws of classical physics. It encompasses the principles of reflection, refraction, diffraction, and interference to understand how light interacts with materials and objects.

What is the Lagrange multiplier method?

The Lagrange multiplier method is a mathematical technique used to find the extrema (maximum or minimum) of a function subject to one or more constraints. It involves using a multiplier term to incorporate the constraints into the optimization problem.

How is the Lagrange multiplier method used in classical optics?

The Lagrange multiplier method is often used in classical optics to optimize optical systems, such as lenses and mirrors, to achieve a desired outcome. It allows for the incorporation of physical constraints, such as the shape and position of optical elements, into the optimization process.

What are some applications of classical optics?

Classical optics has numerous applications in everyday life, including the design of eyeglasses, telescopes, and cameras. It is also used in the fields of microscopy, astronomy, and telecommunications.

What are the main differences between classical optics and quantum optics?

Classical optics deals with the macroscopic behavior of light and uses classical physics laws to study it. Quantum optics, on the other hand, takes into account the quantum nature of light and uses quantum mechanics to understand its behavior at the microscopic level. Classical optics also typically deals with the wave-like properties of light, while quantum optics focuses on the particle-like properties of light.