Classical/QFT Vacuum Fluctuations

In summary: The electric field is essentially a coherent quantum state and the capacitor is a complex mixture of excitations of several fermion and gauge fields.The electric field is essentially a coherent quantum state and the capacitor is a complex mixture of excitations of several fermion and gauge fields. This means that the electric field does not have a value until the field is coherent and the excitations have a particular form.
HeavyWater
I want to ask a question about the Quantum Vacuum, but I want to make a few statements about my understanding of the Classical concept of a vacuum to act as a background.

1.)As I understand it, the classical vacuum is a place where there is nothing.
2.)Two attributes of the classical vacuum are the constants: epsilon-zero and mu-zero.
3.)We know that (c^2)(epsilon-zero)(mu-zero)=1, where "c" is the speed of light.
4.)A charged capacitor in this vacuum has an Electric Field E.
5.)Though there is an E field, the values of epsilon and mu between the plates of this capacitor are epsilon-zero and mu-zero.

I will ask the QFT question over the weekend if all of this sounds consistent in the context of classical physics. Any comments are welcome. Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
HeavyWater said:
As I understand it, the classical vacuum is a place where there is nothing.
What do you mean by "nothing"? There classical fields are still around, although they (except the Higgs field) have a value of zero.
HeavyWater said:
2.)Two attributes of the classical vacuum are the constants: epsilon-zero and mu-zero.
3.)We know that (c^2)(epsilon-zero)(mu-zero)=1, where "c" is the speed of light.
do not confuse the classical vacuum around which we expand our quantum fields with the classical electromagnetic vacuum where the permeability and permittivity take their vacuum values.
HeavyWater said:
4.)A charged capacitor in this vacuum has an Electric Field E.
If there is an electric field and a capacitor, this is not vacuum in the sense of the state around which you will expand your qft. The electric field is essentially a coherent quantum state and the capacitor is a complex mixture of excitations of several fermion and gauge fields.

Orodruin said:
What do you mean by "nothing"? There classical fields are still around, although they (except the Higgs field) have a value of zero.

do not confuse the classical vacuum around which we expand our quantum fields with the classical electromagnetic vacuum where the permeability and permittivity take their vacuum values.

If there is an electric field and a capacitor, this is not vacuum in the sense of the state around which you will expand your qft. The electric field is essentially a coherent quantum state and the capacitor is a complex mixture of excitations of several fermion and gauge fields.
@@@@@@
Wow. Your response is beyond all I expected. Thank you. I will think about your comments and clarify. Thanks for the quick and overwhelming response.

Thank you. Your response is much more than I expected. I will clarify and get back to you and the rest of the community.

A classical vacuum could have "stuff" in it such as electric, magnetic and gravitational fields. Ponderable matter would be absent.

Thank you stewards.

Thank you to all that have commented to me online and in person.

By the classical vacuum, I was thinking of the type of vacuum your science teacher made in seventh grade. A bell jar with a vacuum pump. Yes, I do agree that a classical vacuum may still be associated with fields.

Let me continue and end the classical part of my question, before I move into QFT. Let's assume that there is a charged capacitor with an E-field in this classical vacuum. If we shine a light beam into the vacuum and through the space between the parallel plates, do we find that the speed of light between the parallel plates is the same as the speed of light before the light beam enters the parallel plates? Remember, I'm not yet talking about QFT, Higgs bosons, condensates, and whatever. I'm just talking about classical physics.

Thanks,

HeavyWater said:
Thank you to all that have commented to me online and in person.

By the classical vacuum, I was thinking of the type of vacuum your science teacher made in seventh grade. A bell jar with a vacuum pump. Yes, I do agree that a classical vacuum may still be associated with fields.

Let me continue and end the classical part of my question, before I move into QFT. Let's assume that there is a charged capacitor with an E-field in this classical vacuum. If we shine a light beam into the vacuum and through the space between the parallel plates, do we find that the speed of light between the parallel plates is the same as the speed of light before the light beam enters the parallel plates? Remember, I'm not yet talking about QFT, Higgs bosons, condensates, and whatever. I'm just talking about classical physics.

Thanks,
Yes, EM theory implies the speed of EM waves in vacuum does not depend on the presence of other fields or their field strength.

Jano L. said:
Yes, EM theory implies the speed of EM waves in vacuum does not depend on the presence of other fields or their field strength.
So because the vacuum permittivity equals one and c = √1/ε0μ0
then the EM field in vacuum does not effect c ? http://maxwells-equations.com/materials/permittivity.php
What is the a reason the EM field in light is not affected by the EM field in the vacuum ?

morrobay said:
What is the a reason the EM field in light is not affected by the EM field in the vacuum ?
There is only one electromagnetic field, not one field per source. The field in which light are waves is the same field to which a point charge gives a static radially directed contribution.

The reason you can treat sources independently is that Maxwell's equations are linear.

morrobay said:
So because the vacuum permittivity equals one and c = √1/ε0μ0
then the EM field in vacuum does not effect c ? http://maxwells-equations.com/materials/permittivity.php

Correction : Vacuum permittivity , ε0 = 8.85 ⋅10-12 F/m
Permeability μ0 = 4π ⋅10-7 H/m
It is relative static permittivity . εs0 = 1 .
Also that should just be the electric field in the vacuum

Related to Classical/QFT Vacuum Fluctuations

1. What are classical vacuum fluctuations?

Classical vacuum fluctuations refer to the constant and random variations in the energy density of the vacuum, also known as the "zero-point energy." These fluctuations are a fundamental aspect of quantum field theory and are always present in the vacuum state.

2. How are classical vacuum fluctuations different from quantum vacuum fluctuations?

Classical vacuum fluctuations are macroscopic variations in the energy density of the vacuum, while quantum vacuum fluctuations are microscopic fluctuations in the quantum fields that make up the vacuum. Additionally, classical vacuum fluctuations are a result of the uncertainty principle, while quantum vacuum fluctuations arise from the inherent probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

3. What is the role of classical vacuum fluctuations in the Casimir effect?

The Casimir effect is a phenomenon in which two uncharged, parallel plates are attracted to each other due to the presence of vacuum fluctuations between them. This is because the fluctuations outside the plates are not canceled out by the fluctuations between the plates, resulting in a net force pulling the plates together.

4. Can classical vacuum fluctuations be observed?

No, classical vacuum fluctuations cannot be directly observed as they are a fundamental property of the vacuum state. However, their effects can be observed indirectly, such as in the Casimir effect or in the Lamb shift, a small energy shift in the spectral lines of atoms due to vacuum fluctuations.

5. How do classical vacuum fluctuations affect our understanding of the universe?

Classical vacuum fluctuations play a crucial role in our understanding of the quantum world and have significant implications for fields such as cosmology and particle physics. They provide a deeper understanding of the nature of the vacuum and how it interacts with matter, leading to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.