Classical scattering off an ellipsoid

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the differential cross-section for particles scattered off the surface of an ellipsoid. The formula for the impact parameter, s, as a function of the scattering angle, theta, is given. The conversation also mentions a simpler expression for s when dealing with a sphere. The individual is unsure how to differentiate the expression and asks for advice. The resulting differential cross-section is given, but there is discrepancy over whether a factor of 4 and an additional 1 in the denominator should be included. The conversation ends with a correction and clarification of the integration process.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Particles of scattered off the surface of an ellipsoid given by x^+y^2+z^2/f^2 = R^2, where f and R are constants. Find the differential cross-section.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let s be the impact parameter. I can find s as a function of the scattering angle, theta, but I am not sure where to go from there. I get:
[tex]s(\theta) = \frac{R}{\sqrt{f^2 tan^2(\theta/2)+1}} [/tex]
When I did this for a sphere instead of an ellipse, that expression for s was much simpler and could be easily differentiated. Then I just used the formula:
[tex] \frac{d\sigma}{d\theta}=\frac{ s(\theta)}{\sin \theta} \left|{\frac{ds(\theta)}{d\theta}\right| [/tex]

But, I have no idea how to differentiate this w.r.t theta. Is there another way to get [tex]\frac{d \sigma}{d \Omega}[/tex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
why can't you take the derivatite of [itex] s(\theta ) [/itex]? It is just the chain rule.

How stupid of me!

[tex] \left| \frac{ds}{d\theta} \right| = \frac{R f^2\tan(\theta/2)\sec^2 (\theta/2)}{2 (f^2 \tan^2(\theta/2)+1)^{3/2}} [/tex]

Last edited:
For the differential scattering cross-section, I get:

[tex] \frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega} = f^2 R^2/4 \frac{1}{(f^2+(1-f^2)\cos(\theta/2))^2} [/tex]

My book says that I am missing a factor of 4 and that I need to add one to the denominator before squaring. Who is right: me or my book?

How did you integrate? Try integrating from 0 to pi/2 and multiplying by 4.

Dr Transport said:
How did you integrate? Try integrating from 0 to pi/2 and multiplying by 4.

I didn't integrate. This is the differential cross-section.

What would I integrate from 0 to pi/2? can you elaborate?

EDIT: I just used the formula

[tex] \frac{d\sigma}{d\theta}=\frac{ s(\theta)}{\sin \theta} \left|{\frac{ds(\theta)}{d\theta}\right| [/tex]

Last edited:
Brain fart...

Related to Classical scattering off an ellipsoid

1. What is classical scattering off an ellipsoid?

Classical scattering off an ellipsoid refers to the phenomenon of a particle or wave encountering an ellipsoid-shaped object and being deflected or scattered in a specific direction.

2. How is classical scattering off an ellipsoid different from other types of scattering?

Classical scattering off an ellipsoid is different from other types of scattering because it takes into account the specific shape of the ellipsoid, which can affect the direction and magnitude of the scattering. Other types of scattering may consider the object to be a point or a sphere, which may not accurately represent the real shape of the object.

3. What factors determine the scattering pattern in classical scattering off an ellipsoid?

The scattering pattern in classical scattering off an ellipsoid is determined by various factors, including the shape and size of the ellipsoid, the properties of the incident particle or wave, and the angle of incidence.

4. How is classical scattering off an ellipsoid used in scientific research?

Classical scattering off an ellipsoid is used in various fields of scientific research, including physics, astronomy, and meteorology. It can provide insights into the properties of the object being scattered off and can also be used to study the behavior of particles or waves in different environments.

5. What are some real-life applications of classical scattering off an ellipsoid?

Real-life applications of classical scattering off an ellipsoid include radar and sonar systems, where the scattering patterns can be used to detect and identify objects, and in medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound, where the scattering of sound waves off different tissues can provide information about their properties and structure.