Classification of Groups of Order 12.

In summary: So the right hand side of the equation means that to multiply two elements in the semi-direct product, you first multiply the second coordinates (using addition mod 3) and then multiply the first coordinates using the homomorphism \alpha. In summary, the conversation discusses the classification of groups of order 12, specifically the split extensions of Z_3 by groups of order 4. The method involves finding homomorphisms from Z_3 into the groups in question. The conversation also clarifies the definition of the semidirect product and how to compute it. Ultimately, the goal is to classify the split extensions and determine which group of order 12 they are isomorphic to.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Classify the groups of order 12.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

The professor has worked this out up to a point. He proved a corollary that states:

"Let G be a group of order 12 whose 3-Sylow subgroups are not normal. Then G is isomorphic to A_4."

After the proof he states:

"Thus, the classification of groups of order 12 depends only on classifying the split extensions of Z_3 by groups of order 4."

OK, fine. So I know that split extensions are semidirect products, and that there are only 2 groups of order 4. So I need to compute the following:

[itex]D_4 \times_{\alpha} \mathbb{Z}_3[/itex]
[itex]\mathbb{Z}_4 \times_{\beta} \mathbb{Z}_3[/itex]

(sorry, don't know how to make the symbol for semidirect products)

Here's where the confusion begins. If I compare the semidirect products above with the definition of the same, then I see that I have to find the homomorphisms [itex]\alpha: \mathbb{Z}_3 \rightarrow Aut(D_4)[/itex] and [itex]\beta: \mathbb{Z}_3 \rightarrow Aut(\mathbb{Z}_4)[/itex].

The second one isn't so bad, but I would really like to turn the first one around so that the homomorphism comes out of [itex]D_4[/itex]. That's because I've already done a homework exercise that gives me all of the homomorphisms out of [itex]D_{2n}[/itex].

So, first question: Is [itex]D_4 \times_{\alpha} \mathbb{Z}_3[/itex] for some [itex]\alpha[/itex] isomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{Z}_3 \times_{\gamma} D_4[/itex] for some [itex]\gamma[/itex]? In other words, can I arrange it so that I'm looking for homomorphisms from [itex]D_4[/itex] to [itex]Aut(\mathbb{Z}_3)[/itex]?

Hope the question is clear.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general, no. In a non-trivial semi-direct product one of the groups in the product is normal and the other isn't (where we think of the groups making up the product as embedded in semi-direct product in the natural way). So it isn't symmetric. But Aut(D_4) is a pretty simple group, and the homomorphisms from Z_3 into it are really easy to classify (ie, find the automorphisms of order dividing 3).

StatusX said:
In general, no.

That's what I suspected.

In a non-trivial semi-direct product one of the groups in the product is normal and the other isn't (where we think of the groups making up the product as embedded in semi-direct product in the natural way). So it isn't symmetric. But Aut(D_4) is a pretty simple group, and the homomorphisms from Z_3 into it are really easy to classify (ie, find the automorphisms of order dividing 3).

OK thanks, I'll try it.

Here's a stupid question. The definition of semidirect product of H and K with respect to [itex]\alpha[/itex] is as follows.

"Let [itex]\alpha: K \rightarrow Aut(H)[/itex] be a homomorphism. By the semidirect product of H and K with respect to [itex]\alpha[/itex], written [itex]H \times_{\alpha} K[/itex], we mean the set [itex]H \times K[/itex] with the binary operation given by setting

[itex](h_1,k_1) \cdot (h_2,k_2) = (h_1 \cdot \alpha(k_1)(h_2),k_1k_2)[/itex]"

I'm a little unsure of what the right hand side of that last equation means. Since here [itex]H=D_4[/itex] and [itex]K=\mathbb{Z}_3[/itex], I suppose that in the first coordinate of the ordered pair I'll be multiplying in [itex]D_4[/itex], and in the second coordinate "[itex]k_1k_2[/itex]" means "addition of [itex]k_1[/itex] and [itex]k_2[/itex] mod 3". Is that right? Also, I am supposing that the object "[itex]\alpha(k_1)(h_2)[/itex]" is to be read as the product of [itex]\alpha(k_1)[/itex] and [itex]h_2[/itex] in [itex]D_4[/itex]. Is that also right?

[itex]\alpha[/itex] is a homomorphism from K to Aut(H), so [itex]\alpha(k_1)[/itex] is an automorphism, and [itex]\alpha(k_1)(h_2)[/itex] is the element in H that this automorphism sends h_2 to.

Related to Classification of Groups of Order 12.

What is the significance of the classification of groups of order 12?

The classification of groups of order 12 is significant because it provides a complete understanding of all possible groups of this specific order. This knowledge is useful in various areas of mathematics and has applications in other fields such as physics and chemistry.

How many groups of order 12 are there?

There are 5 non-isomorphic groups of order 12, which means they cannot be transformed into each other through a relabeling of elements. These groups are the cyclic group of order 12, the dihedral group of order 12, the quaternion group, the semi-dihedral group, and the dicyclic group.

What are the defining characteristics of each group of order 12?

The cyclic group of order 12 is generated by a single element and has no non-trivial subgroups. The dihedral group of order 12 has 12 elements and is made up of reflections and rotations of a regular polygon. The quaternion group has 8 elements and is non-abelian, meaning its elements do not commute. The semi-dihedral group has 12 elements and is a combination of the dihedral group and the cyclic group. The dicyclic group has 12 elements and is a combination of the cyclic group and the quaternion group.

How can the groups of order 12 be represented geometrically?

The cyclic group of order 12 can be represented as the symmetries of a regular dodecagon. The dihedral group of order 12 can be represented as the symmetries of a regular hexagon. The quaternion group can be represented as the symmetries of a cube. The semi-dihedral group can be represented as the symmetries of a regular hexagon with an additional reflection. The dicyclic group can be represented as the symmetries of a cube with an additional rotation.

What is the relationship between the groups of order 12 and other groups?

The groups of order 12 have many connections to other groups. For example, the dihedral group of order 12 is a subgroup of the symmetric group of 6 elements, and the quaternion group is a subgroup of the special orthogonal group SO(3). The cyclic group of order 12 is a subgroup of the general linear group GL(2,3). These relationships allow for a deeper understanding and classification of groups of order 12.