Classifying an Alternating Factorial Series

In summary, the conversation discusses how to classify a given series as absolute convergent, conditionally convergent, or divergent. The Alternating Series Test is suggested as a possible method, but the factorial terms make it difficult to determine if the series is decreasing. It is then suggested to try taking the ratio of terms, which leads to simplifying the factorial terms and ultimately solving the problem.
dba

Homework Statement

Classify the series as absolute convergent, conditionally convergent, or divergent.

[tex]
\Sigma^{\infty}_{k = 1} (-1)^{k-1}\frac{k!}{(2k-1)!}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Alternating Series Test: conditions for convergence
decreasing
lim --> infinity ak = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to find out if the series is decreasing. Since it is a factorial, I cannot take the first deriative test.

I was wondering if I should use the Alternating Series Test at all, since it is an factorial.

Can someone help me here?

Physics news on Phys.org
try the alternating series test

a ratio of terms will show if the magnitude of terms decrease monotonically

Thanks.

If I try the ratio I got stuck with the factorial.

[tex]
\frac{(k+1)!}{(2(k+1)-1)!} * \frac{(2k-1)!}{k!} = \frac{(2k-1)!}{(2(k+1)-1)!} * (k+1)[/tex]

Can I write

[tex](2(k+1)-1)! = (2k+2-1)! = (2k+1)![/tex]

dba said:
Thanks.

If I try the ratio I got stuck with the factorial.

[tex]
\frac{(k+1)!}{(2(k+1)-1)!} * \frac{(2k-1)!}{k!} = \frac{(2k-1)!}{(2(k+1)-1)!} * (k+1)[/tex]

Can I write

[tex](2(k+1)-1)! = (2k+2-1)! = (2k+1)![/tex]
Yes, of course. And so you have (2k-1)!/(2k+1)!= (2k-1)!/[(2k+1)(2k)(2k-1)!]

Oh, ok.
Thank you! I was able to solve this one :smile:

Related to Classifying an Alternating Factorial Series

1. What is an alternating factorial series?

An alternating factorial series is a mathematical series where the terms alternate between positive and negative values, and the denominator increases by a factorial for each subsequent term. For example, the series 1 - 2/2! + 3/3! - 4/4! + ... is an alternating factorial series.

2. How is the sum of an alternating factorial series calculated?

The sum of an alternating factorial series can be calculated using the formula S = (1 - 1/n!) + (2/2! - 2!/2!) + (3/3! - 3!/3!) + ..., where n represents the number of terms in the series. This formula can be simplified to S = 1 - (1/n!), where n is the number of terms in the series.

3. What is the convergence of an alternating factorial series?

The convergence of an alternating factorial series depends on the value of n, the number of terms in the series. If n is a small value, the series will converge to a finite value. However, as n increases, the series may diverge and approach infinity. This means that the alternating factorial series converges conditionally, meaning it only converges for certain values of n.

4. How is an alternating factorial series used in real life?

Alternating factorial series are often used in real life to calculate probabilities and estimate values. For example, the series can be used to approximate the value of e, the base of the natural logarithm, by setting n to a large value. Additionally, alternating factorial series are used in the field of statistics to calculate the probability of certain events.

5. Are there any other types of alternating series besides factorial series?

Yes, there are several other types of alternating series, including geometric series, harmonic series, and power series. These series also have alternating positive and negative terms, but the denominators increase in different patterns. The convergence and sum calculations for these series may also differ from that of an alternating factorial series.