Classifying Equation 1: Linear, Semilinear or Quasilinear?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Julio1
  • Start date
In summary, the equation $u_{x_1}+u_{x_2}=u^{3/2}$ can be classified as quasi-linear, as it meets the criteria for this type of equation. It cannot be classified as linear or semilinear due to the form of the equation. It is important to note that just because the operators on the left-hand side are linear does not mean the equation itself is linear. The equation is linear in its principal part, but it is not semilinear due to the lack of a linear term.
Julio1
Classify the equation $u_{x_1}+u_{x_2}=u^{3/2}$ depending on if is linear, semilinear or quasilinear.

Hello MathHelpBoards :). The equation isn't linear? How prove this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, for a first-order pde in one dependent variable and two independent variables to be linear, you have to be able to write it as follows:
$$a(x_1,x_2) \, \frac{\partial u(x_1,x_2)}{\partial x_1}+b(x_1,x_2) \, \frac{\partial u(x_1,x_2)}{\partial x_2}+c(x_1,x_2) \, u(x_1,x_2)=d(x_1,x_2).$$
The RHS, being what it is, precludes being able to write it like this. Now the quasi-linear criteria is that you can write it like this:
$$a(x_1,x_2,u(x_1,x_2)) \, \frac{\partial u(x_1,x_2)}{\partial x_1}+b(x_1,x_2,u(x_1,x_2)) \, \frac{\partial u(x_1,x_2)}{\partial x_2}=c(x_1,x_2,u(x_1,x_2)).$$
Can you write your pde in this form?

Hello Ackbach :). I have clear that isn't linear, because the term $u^{3/2}$ isn't of first grade. Is this the explained?

But I don't how show that the equation is or not semilinear or quasi-linear. Can any help me please?

How about $a=b=1$, and then $c$ would have to equal...?

OK, then the equation is linear, because the operators $u_x$ and $u_y$ are linear. Therefore the equation isn't semilinear, because the equation is linear. Is quasilinear, because have the form for the definition.

This is right? :)

I would agree that the equation is quasi-linear. Your first sentence contradicts your latter sentences! Just because the operators on the LHS are linear (which is true) doesn't mean the equation is linear!

Ackbach said:
I would agree that the equation is quasi-linear. Your first sentence contradicts your latter sentences! Just because the operators on the LHS are linear (which is true) doesn't mean the equation is linear!

Thanks! Sorry, is a mistake.

The equation is quasi-linear because have the form for the definition, have that $c=u^{3/2}=(u(x_1,x_2))^{3/2}.$

The equation is linear because have the form:

$\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial x_1}(x_1,x_2)+\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial x_2}(x_1,x_2)+(-1)u^{3/2}=0$ where $a=b=1, c=-1.$

The equation isn't semilinear, because haven't principal part linear :).

I correct now?

Yep, looks good to me!

Thanks Ackbach :)!

FAQ: Classifying Equation 1: Linear, Semilinear or Quasilinear?

What is the meaning of "Classify equation 1"?

Classify equation 1 refers to the process of identifying and categorizing a mathematical equation based on its properties and characteristics.

What are the different types of equations that can be classified?

Equations can be classified as linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, trigonometric, or polynomial, among others.

How is an equation classified?

An equation can be classified by looking at its highest degree, number of variables, and the types of mathematical operations involved.

What is the importance of classifying equations?

Classifying equations helps us better understand and solve mathematical problems. It also allows us to recognize patterns and similarities between different equations.

Can two different equations have the same classification?

Yes, it is possible for two equations to have the same classification if they share similar properties and characteristics.

Back