Classifying Relations: Reflexive, Irreflexive, or Neither?

• Thread starter scorpius1782
  • Start date
In summary: Is it true or false that for all ##x\in \mathbb R##, ##(x+x)^2=1##?I'm sorry, I don't know what else to tell you. The answer is false. This is the meaning of "is not reflexive".You have asked me to explain it to you in a way that you can understand. I don't know how to do that. It's like asking me to explain the color blue to someone who has never seen color. I can tell you that there are colors and I can tell you that blue is a color, but I can't tell you what blue looks like. I can tell you that there is a definition of reflexive and I can tell
scorpius1782

Homework Statement

xRy iff (x+y)2=1
determine if reflexive, irreflexive or neither

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble understanding the definitions. I know that reflexive means that ever element is related to itself and that irreflexive means that no element is related to itself but I don't really understand what that means.

For this problem it is only true y=-x-1 or y=1-x.

But I don't understand what to do from here. Does this mean that since x and y are dependent on one another then they are reflexive? But how would I know if it an element in 'x' (say 10) is dependent onitself?

Physics news on Phys.org
scorpius1782 said:

Homework Statement

xRy iff (x+y)2=1
determine if reflexive, irreflexive or neither

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble understanding the definitions. I know that reflexive means that ever element is related to itself and that irreflexive means that no element is related to itself but I don't really understand what that means.

For this problem it is only true y=-x-1 or y=1-x.

But I don't understand what to do from here. Does this mean that since x and y are dependent on one another then they are reflexive? But how would I know if it an element in 'x' (say 10) is dependent onitself?

You haven't told us what set ##x## and ##y## are from. I will assume the real numbers. As you say, your relation is reflexive if for all ##x \in \mathbb R## you have ##xRx## or ##(x+x)^2 = 1##. Is that true or false?

Now write carefully what it means for your relation to be irreflexive and decide whether or not it is true.

Sorry yes, x,y are Real. I would say that your example is irreflexive because x can only be ##\frac{1}{2}## or ##\frac{-1}{2}##.

However, I stumble on the idea of "related". What does that even mean, specifically? Because, in the original question there is an equation that specifically relates x and y. They are related via that equation but is that what the definition is referring to? They can never be equal or divisible by one another but does that mean they can't be related? These sort of things are glossed over in my text and it is quite frustrating. I still don't understand how a number can be related to itself.

LCKurtz said:
You haven't told us what set ##x## and ##y## are from. I will assume the real numbers. As you say, your relation is reflexive if for all ##x \in \mathbb R## you have ##xRx## or ##(x+x)^2 = 1##. Is that true or false?

You didn't answer that question.

Now write carefully what it means for your relation to be irreflexive

You didn't do that.

scorpius1782 said:
Sorry yes, x,y are Real. I would say that your example is irreflexive because x can only be ##\frac{1}{2}## or ##\frac{-1}{2}##.

Until you write the definition of what it means to be irreflexive in this problem, you are just guessing.

However, I stumble on the idea of "related". What does that even mean, specifically?

In this problem ##x## and ##y## are related, written ##xRy##, if ##(x+y)^2=1##. That's the definition. Nothing more nor less. So try again to answer the questions above.

I guess I didn't understand what you were saying in the question (I didn't really get the 'or') part. So, this must be false because if xRx is true then x=x but this is clearly not the case in the equation.

Irreflexive-no element can be related to itself. So, for xRy it must be that the conditional equation demands that x=y. But it clearly can't and never can. They are related but not reflexive(ly) related (this part actually confused me for some reason).

Have I got the idea now?

If you want to know if you have an equivalence relation, here is what you have to prove:

LCKurtz said:
##R## is refexive if for all ##x \in \mathbb R## you have ##xRx##, which means ##(x+x)^2 = 1##.

scorpius1782 said:
I guess I didn't understand what you were saying in the question (I didn't really get the 'or') part. So, this must be false because if xRx is true then x=x but this is clearly not the case in the equation.

I re-worded it without the "or". Now can you well me whether ##R## is reflexive and why? All you have to do is explain whether the statement is true or false and why.

Irreflexive-no element can be related to itself. So, for xRy it must be that the conditional equation demands that x=y. But it clearly can't and never can. They are related but not reflexive(ly) related (this part actually confused me for some reason).

Have I got the idea now?

No. Once you get the reflexive question figured out you need to write a careful definition for irreflexive and work it similarly.

x is reflexive because it can solve that equation as ##\frac{1}{2}## or ##\frac{−1}{2}## (I was still thinking x,y before for some reason).

This is as careful as I can be without actually understanding it. I'm not trying to be a pain but I can't define something I don't seem to understand.
Irreflexive-no element can be related to itself. So, for xRy it must be that the conditional equation demands that ##x \neq y## and is then irreflexive. No other solution can have x=y or else it would be neither reflexive or irreflexive.

scorpius1782 said:
x is reflexive because it can solve that equation as ##\frac{1}{2}## or ##\frac{−1}{2}## (I was still thinking x,y before for some reason).

It isn't ##x## that is or isn't reflexive. It is ##R##. At the risk of answering the question for you:

Is it true or false that for all ##x\in \mathbb R##, ##(x+x)^2=1##? Why or why not? That is what ##xRx## means and that's how you answer the question.

Then false because there is only 2 real numbers that solve the equation while there is an infinite number of reals that do not.

LCKurtz said:
It isn't ##x## that is or isn't reflexive. It is ##R##. At the risk of answering the question for you:

Is it true or false that for all ##x\in \mathbb R##, ##(x+x)^2=1##? Why or why not? That is what ##xRx## means and that's how you answer the question.

scorpius1782 said:
Then false because there is only 2 real numbers that solve the equation while there is an infinite number of reals that do not.

Yes. Instead of stating a sentence like that, give an equation. Just say, for example, that it is false because ##(0+0)^2\ne 1##.

Now here's your problem. State carefully, with equations, similar to what is above and using the definition of ##R## what you have to prove true or false to say whether ##R## is irreflexive. Don't give me a paragraph of explanation. Give equations.

I don't want to post the final answer since it is not homework that we're not suppose to share. However, I think I fully understand it now. Thank you very much for the help.

Related to Classifying Relations: Reflexive, Irreflexive, or Neither?

1. What is the difference between reflexive and irreflexive?

Reflexive and irreflexive are two properties of relations in mathematics and logic. A reflexive relation is one in which every element is related to itself. In other words, for any element x in the relation, (x, x) is a member of the relation. On the other hand, an irreflexive relation is one in which no element is related to itself. This means that for any element x in the relation, (x, x) is not a member of the relation.

2. Can a relation be both reflexive and irreflexive?

No, a relation cannot be both reflexive and irreflexive. These two properties are mutually exclusive, meaning that a relation can only have one of them. If a relation is reflexive, then it must contain (x, x) for every element x, which contradicts the definition of an irreflexive relation.

3. What are some examples of reflexive and irreflexive relations?

An example of a reflexive relation is the "equals" relation, where every element is related to itself. For example, 5 equals 5, so (5, 5) is a member of the "equals" relation. An example of an irreflexive relation is the "less than" relation, where no element is related to itself. For example, 5 is not less than 5, so (5, 5) is not a member of the "less than" relation.

4. Can a relation be reflexive and symmetric at the same time?

Yes, a relation can be both reflexive and symmetric. A symmetric relation is one in which if (x, y) is a member of the relation, then (y, x) is also a member. This means that every element is related to itself (reflexive) and every element is also related to its symmetric counterpart (symmetric).

5. How are reflexive and irreflexive used in real life?

Reflexive and irreflexive relations are used in various fields of mathematics, computer science, and logic. In real life, they can be applied to social networks, where a reflexive relation can represent a person's relationship with themselves (e.g. "friend with oneself") and an irreflexive relation can represent a person's relationship with others (e.g. "friend with others"). These properties can also be used in database design to ensure data integrity and consistency.