Clausius' Theorem and Entropy

laser1
Homework Statement
textbook
Relevant Equations
Clausius' Theorem
1727422775218.png

Okay, I agree with this logic. However, if we consider a reversible section first, then an irreversible section, I get the following:
$$\frac{dQ_{rev}}{T} \leq \frac{dQ}{T} $$ which is the opposite to equation (14.8). Why is this? Is it "somehow" not viable to think of a reversible section than an irreversible one? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, the T in the equation is supposed to be ##T_S##, the temperature of the surroundings (assumed to consist of one or more ideal isothermal reservoirs). Secondly, the final equation is supposed to involve two closely neighboring thermodynamic equilibrium states, and the two paths between these states, and the two paths between these states do not have to match one another. I would never have written down those equations in terms of differentials. Can you live with only the integral from of the equation, without accepting the differential form. I have a rule I follow that has never failed me: Never express the changes during an irreversible process in terms of just differentials when comparing reversible and irreversible paths.

Likes Lord Jestocost
Chestermiller said:
First of all, the T in the equation is supposed to be ##T_S##, the temperature of the surroundings (assumed to consist of one or more ideal isothermal reservoirs). Secondly, the final equation is supposed to involve two closely neighboring thermodynamic equilibrium states, and the two paths between these states, and the two paths between these states do not have to match one another. I would never have written down those equations in terms of differentials. Can you live with only the integral from of the equation, without accepting the differential form. I have a rule I follow that has never failed me: Never express the changes during an irreversible process in terms of just differentials when comparing reversible and irreversible paths.
So why do I get the opposite answer if we consider a reversible section first, and then an irreversible one? I don't get what you are saying here.

You are aware that the signs of the dQ’s have flipped and that the irreversible path cannot be run in reverse, right?

Likes laser1
Chestermiller said:
You are aware that the signs of the dQ’s have flipped
Oh right my bad, that was what I was missing, thanks!

"the irreversible path cannot be run in reverse" - This I don't understand. Isn't that what the textbook is doing? It goes irreversibly from A to B, then reversibly back from B to A.

If it is going reversibly from A to B, and irreversibly back from B to A, how is that any different?

laser1 said:
Oh right my bad, that was what I was missing, thanks!

"the irreversible path cannot be run in reverse" - This I don't understand. Isn't that what the textbook is doing? It goes irreversibly from A to B, then reversibly back from B to A.

If it is going reversibly from A to B, and irreversibly back from B to A, how is that any different?
In an irreversible process from A to B the total entropy (system plus surroundings) will increase.
If there was an irreversible process from B to A the total entropy would have to decrease so this process can't exist.

Philip Koeck said:
In an irreversible process from A to B the total entropy (system plus surroundings) will increase.
If there was an irreversible process from B to A the total entropy would have to decrease so this process can't exist.
I completely agree, but entropy hasn't been defined yet. The image in the original post was in the process of "deriving" entropy. I am trying to see the book's argument if you get me

Likes Philip Koeck
laser1 said:
I completely agree, but entropy hasn't been defined yet. The image in the original post was in the process of "deriving" entropy. I am trying to see the book's argument if you get me
Not sure if that helps, but think of a free expansion. You can't reverse it and get a free compression.
On the other hand you can reverse the reversible isothermal expansion that runs between the same states as the free expansion.
It's just an example, but it's the best I can do at the moment.

What you're looking for might be (logically) circular. The whole concept of entropy comes from studying processes that can and can't be reversed. That certain processes can't be reversed is just something we know from experience and entropy makes this quantitative.

Back