Clearing a Vertical Wall: Solving for Height with Right Angle Trig

• MHB
  • Thread starter paulmdrdo1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Trig
In summary, an airplane starting from a station with a 10 degree angle with the horizontal will clear a vertical wall 100 ft. high and 900 ft. from the station by 58.69 ft.
paulmdrdo1
An airplane starts from a station and rises at an angle of 10 deg with the horizontal. By how many feet will it clear a vertical wall 100 ft. High and 900 ft from the station?

I don't get it. Can you provide an image that represent the situation in the problem. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
paulmdrdo said:
An airplane starts from a station and rises at an angle of 10 deg with the horizontal. By how many feet will it clear a vertical wall 100 ft. High and 900 ft from the station?

I don't get it. Can you provide an image that represent the situation in the problem. Thanks.

ok ... View attachment 3417

Thanks!

My solution

$\tan10^{\circ}=\frac{100'+h}{900'}$h = 58.69 ft.

Related to Clearing a Vertical Wall: Solving for Height with Right Angle Trig

1. What is a right angle trigonometry?

Right angle trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of a right triangle. It is often used to solve problems involving right triangles in real-world situations.

2. What are the three main trigonometric ratios used in right angle trigonometry?

The three main trigonometric ratios used in right angle trigonometry are sine, cosine, and tangent. These ratios describe the relationships between the sides and angles of a right triangle.

3. How do I use right angle trigonometry to solve a problem?

To solve a problem using right angle trigonometry, you need to identify the known values of the side lengths and angles in the right triangle. Then, you can use the trigonometric ratios to find the unknown values. It is important to remember to use the appropriate ratio for the given angle.

4. What is the Pythagorean Theorem and how is it related to right angle trigonometry?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that the square of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides in a right triangle. This theorem is often used in conjunction with right angle trigonometry to solve problems involving right triangles.

5. Can I use right angle trigonometry to solve non-right triangles?

No, right angle trigonometry can only be used to solve problems involving right triangles. For non-right triangles, a different set of trigonometric functions and formulas, such as the Law of Sines and Law of Cosines, must be used.