Closed infinite orthonormal system

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of a sentence involving an infinite orthonormal system in a Euclidean space. The result is obtained by taking the limit as the number of basis vectors approaches infinity, and it is shown that the sum of squared coefficients in the system is equal to the sum of squared absolute values of the coefficients.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I am lokking at the proof of the following sentence.

An infinite orthonormal system $\{e_1, e_2, ... \} \subset H$, where $H$ an euclidean space, is closed at $H$ iff $ \forall x \in H$
$$||x||^2=\sum_{i=1}^n{|(x,e_i)|^2}$$

We suppose a subspace of $H$, that is produced by the basis $H_m=span \{e_1, e_2,..., e_m \} \subset H$ and we suppose $y_m \in H_m$ the optimal approximation of $x \in H$ from $H_m$.
So $(x-y_m, u)=0, \forall u \in H_m$
For $u=y_m:$
$(x-y_m, y_m)=0$
$x-y_m \perp y_m$
From the Pythagorean Theorem:
$||(x-y_m)+y_m||^2=||x-y_m||^2+||y_m||^2$
$||x||^2= ||x-y_m||^2+||y_m||^2$

$y_m$ can be written as $\sum_{i=1}^m{(x,e_i)e_i}$

So
$||x-\sum_{i=1}^m{(x,e_i)e_i}||^2+||\sum_{i=1}^m{(x,e_i)e_i}||^2=||x||^2$

Taking the limit $m \rightarrow \infty$ we have:

(From the definition of closed orthonormal system we have that $\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}{||x-\sum_{i=1}^m{(x,e_i)e_i}||}=0, \forall x \in H$)

$||x||^2=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}{|(x,e_i)|^2}$I tried to get the result by doing the calculations:

$||x||^2=|| \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}{(x,e_i)e_i}||^2=( \sum_{i=1}^{ \infty }{(x,e_i)e_i}, \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}{(x,e_i)e_i})=\sum_{i=1}^{ \infty }{((x,e_i)e_i, (x,e_i)e_i))}=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}{(x,e_i)(e_i, e_i)(x,e_i)}= \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}{(x,e_i)(x,e_i)}= \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}{(x,e_i)^2}$

But is this the same as $\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}{|(x,e_i)|^2}$?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey! :)

If I understand correctly, you're asking whether the following equality holds?
$$\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}{(x,e_i)^2} = \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}{|(x,e_i)|^2}$$

If so, you may want to consider that for any real number $a$, we have that:
$$a^2 = |a|^2$$
This is true for both positive and negative $a$.

I like Serena said:
Hey! :)

If I understand correctly, you're asking whether the following equality holds?
$$\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}{(x,e_i)^2} = \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}{|(x,e_i)|^2}$$

If so, you may want to consider that for any real number $a$, we have that:
$$a^2 = |a|^2$$
This is true for both positive and negative $a$.

Ok! I got it! Thank you! (Smile)

Related to Closed infinite orthonormal system

1. What is a closed infinite orthonormal system?

A closed infinite orthonormal system is a set of infinitely many vectors that are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other and have a unit length. This means that the dot product of any two vectors in this system is equal to 0, and the norm (or length) of each vector is equal to 1.

2. How is a closed infinite orthonormal system different from a finite orthonormal system?

While a finite orthonormal system contains a limited number of vectors, a closed infinite orthonormal system contains an infinite number of vectors. Additionally, in a finite system, the vectors must span the entire vector space, while in a closed infinite system, they only need to span a dense subset of the space.

3. What is the significance of having a closed infinite orthonormal system?

A closed infinite orthonormal system is important in mathematical analysis and quantum mechanics because it allows for the representation of functions in terms of an infinite sum of orthonormal functions. This can simplify calculations and provide a more elegant way of expressing solutions to certain problems.

4. Can a closed infinite orthonormal system be used to represent any function?

No, not all functions can be represented by a closed infinite orthonormal system. The function must be square-integrable, meaning that its square must have a finite integral over the entire domain.

5. How is a closed infinite orthonormal system related to Fourier series?

A closed infinite orthonormal system is a generalization of the Fourier series, which represents periodic functions as an infinite sum of sine and cosine functions. The closed infinite orthonormal system allows for the representation of non-periodic functions as well.