Closure of a countable subset of the reals

• Thread starter radou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    closure
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the closure of a set A, which is a countable subset of [0, +∞>. It is determined that the closure, Cl(A), is equal to [0, +∞> and that the range of the function ln(1 + x^2) is also equal to [0, +∞>. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the range is not limited to just rational numbers.
radou
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Let A = {ln(1 + q^2) : q is rational}. One needs to find Cl(A) in R with its euclidean topology.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, the set A is a countable subset of [0, +∞>. The closure is, by definition, the intersection of all closed sets containing A. So, Cl(A) would be [0, +∞> itself , right?

I'm just curious about my solution, thanks in advance.

By the way, another way to look at it would be the fact that A is dense in [0, +∞> (since every open interval in [0, +∞> intersects A), so Cl(A) = [0, +∞>. I'm not really sure about this, although it seems quite obvious. Can we, for every <a, b> in [0, +∞>, find some rational q such that ln(1 + q^2) is contained in <a, b>?

Physics news on Phys.org
As the rationals are dense in R, the closure will be the range of f(x) =ln(1 + x^2) i.e.,
[0, +∞).

Eynstone said:
As the rationals are dense in R, the closure will be the range of f(x) =ln(1 + x^2) i.e.,
[0, +∞).

OK, thanks. But I was not sure about that, since the values of f are not rational in general.

Yes, that's why the range is all real numbers larger than or equal to 0 and not just rational numbers.

FAQ: Closure of a countable subset of the reals

What is a countable subset of the reals?

A countable subset of the reals is a set of real numbers that can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers, meaning that each element in the set can be assigned a unique natural number.

Why is the closure of a countable subset of the reals important?

The closure of a countable subset of the reals is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a set of numbers as it approaches its limit. It also helps us to determine whether a limit exists for a particular set of numbers.

How is the closure of a countable subset of the reals calculated?

The closure of a countable subset of the reals is calculated by taking the union of the set with all of its limit points. A limit point is a point that is either included in the set or can be approached arbitrarily closely by points in the set.

What is the difference between the closure of a countable subset of the reals and its limit?

The closure of a countable subset of the reals includes all of the limit points of the set, while the limit of the set only includes the points that the set approaches as it approaches infinity. In other words, the closure is a superset of the limit.

Can a countable subset of the reals have multiple closures?

No, a countable subset of the reals can only have one closure. This is because the closure is a unique set that includes all of the limit points of the original set, and there can only be one set with this property for a given subset of the reals.