CO2 sublimation in a closed container

In summary, the conversation is discussing what would happen if a sample of frozen CO2 was sealed in a container and allowed to warm to room temperature. It is suggested that the CO2 would sublimate into a supercritical fluid, but this is not entirely accurate. It is possible to compress a gas into a solid, as demonstrated by CO2's triple point. The conversation also touches on estimating the pressure at which the CO2 would become a supercritical fluid, which can be determined by matching the density of the solid state. Ultimately, it is concluded that the CO2 would remain solid with an internal pressure approaching 8000 bar.
Jonhorde
A coworker posed a thought experiment; if you sealed a sample of frozen CO2 in an uncompressable container of identical volume and allowed it to warm to room temperature, how could it melt/evaporate, since there would be no room for the gas to expand
My guess is that it would sublimate to a very compressed gas, since, running the thought backwards, I know you can't compress a gas into a solid, (short of Neutron star pressures).
I see on the CO2 phase diagram a supercritical fluid at very high pressures, how could I estimate the pressure it would be under?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jonhorde said:
My guess is that it would sublimate to a very compressed gas
This is (kind of) correct, depending on the temperature and volume of the container. If the temperature is large enough and the volume is small enough, it might become a supercritical fluid--a fluid that doesn't have sharp phase changes like boiling/condensation in standard liquids or gases--instead.
Jonhorde said:
since, running the thought backwards, I know you can't compress a gas into a solid, (short of Neutron star pressures).
This is not correct. It is absolutely possible to compress a gas to a solid. For example, in the case of CO2, the triple point is at 5.1 atm and -56.7°C. This means that if you cool CO2 gas to -56.7°C and then apply a pressure of 6 atmospheres, the gas will become a solid.
Jonhorde said:
I see on the CO2 phase diagram a supercritical fluid at very high pressures, how could I estimate the pressure it would be under?
You'll have a supercritical fluid any time you're above the critical temperature and pressure:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercritical_carbon_dioxide

Jonhorde said:
To estimate the pressure, you have to match the right density. A quick trip to Google says that the density of the solid state is in the neighborhood of 1.4 to 1.6 grams per cc. Another quick trip to Google finds an online calculator that says that you can get a density of 1.4 g/cc if you push the pressure up to 5000 bars and 1.5 g/cc at 8000 bars, both at room temperature.

http://www.energy.psu.edu/tools/CO2-EOS/index.php

Hmm, thank you.
Just to make sure I understand,
A sample of solid CO2 with no room to expand in an uncompressable container, wouldn't melt left at room temperature, but would remain solid with an internal pressure approaching 8000bar?

Related to CO2 sublimation in a closed container

1. What is "CO2 sublimation"?

CO2 sublimation is the process in which carbon dioxide (CO2) changes from a solid state directly to a gas state without passing through a liquid state. This occurs when the temperature and pressure conditions in a closed container are such that the CO2 can transition from a solid to a gas without melting into a liquid first.

2. What is a "closed container"?

A closed container refers to a sealed or airtight vessel that does not allow any exchange of matter or gas with its surroundings. It is an important factor in the process of CO2 sublimation as it allows for the build-up of pressure, which is necessary for the solid CO2 to sublimate into a gas.

3. How does CO2 sublimation occur in a closed container?

In a closed container, the temperature and pressure conditions are controlled in a way that the CO2 is kept in a solid state. As the temperature rises, the solid CO2 molecules gain energy and start to vibrate, turning into a gas state without melting into a liquid state. This process is known as sublimation.

4. What factors affect CO2 sublimation in a closed container?

The main factors that affect CO2 sublimation in a closed container are temperature and pressure. The higher the temperature, the faster the sublimation process will occur. Similarly, a higher pressure will also speed up the sublimation process. Additionally, the surface area of the solid CO2 and the presence of other gases in the container can also affect the sublimation rate.

5. What are the practical applications of CO2 sublimation in a closed container?

CO2 sublimation in a closed container has various practical applications. It is commonly used in refrigeration and air conditioning systems, where solid CO2 (known as dry ice) is used to cool and preserve items. It is also used in certain types of fire extinguishers and as a cleaning agent in industrial settings. In addition, CO2 sublimation is a crucial process in the formation of clouds and snow in the Earth's atmosphere.