Coarse Graining in Statistical Physics: Resolving the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics

• Thread starter Bigfoots mum
  • Start date
In summary, the issue of reconciling the second law of thermodynamics with physics at the microscopic level can be resolved through coarse-graining and the Langevin approach, which takes into account the effects of random fluctuations on the system's microscopic state.
Bigfoots mum
A common exam question for my statistical physics course asks you to explain how we 'reconcile the issue of the 2nd law of thermodynamics with physics at the miscroscopic level'.

It mentions that we should make particular reference to the gibbs entropy and how it may be resolved through coarse graining. It then asks how a Langevin approach 'provides a realisation of such a procedure'.

My attempt: My understanding of course graining at the quantum level is that we effectively reduce the resolution at which we observe our system via the averaging of some parameter, eg the density, and in doing so we lose information. Consequently the Entropy increases. Is this reasonable? I am still not happy with my understanding of this however.

As for the Langevin part, I am really not sure how to explain this. Is it something to do with how in the Langevin approach he uses a Stochastic differential equation which effectively produces the same results as the Diffusion equation derived from the master equation for a random walk?

Sorry for the essay!
Any help greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
. Yes, your understanding of coarse-graining is reasonable. Coarse-graining is a process of reducing the resolution at which we observe our system by averaging out some parameters, such as density, and in doing so, information is lost and entropy increases. The Langevin approach provides a realization of such a procedure, as it involves a stochastic differential equation that produces the same results as the diffusion equation derived from the master equation for a random walk. This equation models the behavior of a system by taking into account the effects of random fluctuations on its microscopic state. In this way, the Langevin approach can be used to reconcile the second law of thermodynamics with physics at the microscopic level.

FAQ: Coarse Graining in Statistical Physics: Resolving the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics

1. What is coarse graining?

Coarse graining is a method used in scientific research to simplify complex systems by grouping together smaller components into larger units. This allows for a more manageable and computationally efficient representation of the system.

2. How is coarse graining used in different fields of science?

Coarse graining is used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and material science. In physics, it is used to study the behavior of large-scale systems, while in chemistry, it is used to understand the properties and interactions of molecules. In biology, coarse graining is used to model biological systems and their dynamics, and in material science, it is used to predict the mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties of materials.

3. What are the advantages of coarse graining?

Coarse graining has several advantages, including simplifying complex systems, reducing computational costs, and providing a more intuitive understanding of the system. It also allows for the study of larger systems and longer time scales, which are often not possible with more detailed models.

4. What are the limitations of coarse graining?

One of the limitations of coarse graining is the loss of detailed information about the system. This can lead to inaccuracies in the results and a lack of understanding of the underlying mechanisms. Additionally, the choice of how to group components together can greatly impact the accuracy of the model.

5. How is coarse graining different from other modeling techniques?

Coarse graining differs from other modeling techniques such as molecular dynamics or quantum mechanics in that it focuses on the behavior of larger systems rather than individual components. It also simplifies the interactions between components, making it more computationally efficient. However, it may not provide as detailed information about the system compared to other techniques.