Coaxial Power Connectors - Need help

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of using coaxial power connectors to transmit high voltage and current. However, it was determined that these connectors are not suitable for this purpose and other options such as rotating power connectors or a coiled power cable were suggested. The individual seeking help also apologized for any language barriers.
subterrain
Hi all,

I'm a mechanical engineering student and I need your help with a project as I'm somewhat not familiar to electrical stuff.

I'd like to use coaxial power connectors (like the ones in laptops power input) to transmit 220 V, 15 A AC through them. The power source is fixed but the receiving component is in rotation. Is that possible? Because i made a little research and these coaxial connectors are all for lower voltage and amps of DC.

If not possible, do you know any other ways or have any suggestions to make it work?

Any help would be appreciated. I hope I could make it clear, and sorry for my English :blushing:

Engineering news on Phys.org
subterrain, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Power connectors such as the input to a laptop are NOT rated to pass 220V, 15 A AC! You should not use those to carry such high voltage and current. Your own research discovered that fact.

Also, those connectors are NOT "coaxial". Coaxial connectors, or Electrical signal connectors, are typically used to pass Radio Frequency (RF) signals. This page describes 40 different types:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Coaxial_connectors

Notice, please, that none of these are used to pass power like 220V AC at 15 A.

Your requirement that one-half of the connector (the receiving component) is in rotation complicates the job greatly!

A Google search using the terms “rotating power connectors” brings many choices. Here are two:
http://www.cavotec.com/en/general-industry/rotating-electrical-connectors_72/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002O18C30/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Also, you might use a coiled power cable to connect the power source to the unit.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy
p.s. Your English seems to be very good!

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Coaxial Power Connectors - Need help

1. What are coaxial power connectors?

Coaxial power connectors are electrical connectors used to transmit power between electronic devices. They have a central pin that carries the positive power signal and an outer ring that carries the negative or ground connection.

2. How do I choose the right coaxial power connector?

The right coaxial power connector depends on the specific needs of your electronic device. Factors to consider include the voltage and current requirements, the size and shape of the connector, and the type of connection (screw-on, push-in, etc.). It is important to refer to the device's specifications and consult with a professional if needed.

3. Can I use any coaxial power connector for my device?

No, it is important to use the specific coaxial power connector recommended by the manufacturer for your device. Using the wrong connector can result in damage to the device or inconsistent power supply.

4. What is the difference between male and female coaxial power connectors?

Male coaxial power connectors have a central pin that inserts into the female connector, while female connectors have a receptacle for the male pin. In most cases, the device will specify which type of connector is needed.

5. Are coaxial power connectors compatible with other types of connectors?

In some cases, coaxial power connectors may be compatible with other types of connectors if they have the same voltage and current requirements and can physically fit together. However, it is always recommended to use the specific connector recommended by the device's manufacturer to ensure proper and safe operation.

Back