Coefficient of kinetic friction on 2 different parts

In summary, the mass M with a speed of 2.17 m/s slides down an inclined slide at an angle of 31.1o and travels a distance of 1.11 m before reaching the bottom. It then moves horizontally for a distance of 2.45 m before stopping. Using the equations E= KE + U and E+ W (ext) = 0, the coefficient of kinetic friction for the mass on the surface is calculated to be 0.105.
yannguyen

Homework Statement

When the mass M is at the position shown, it has a speed v0 = 2.17 m/s and is sliding down the inclined part of a slide. The mass reaches the bottom of the incline and then travels a distance S2 = 2.45 m along the horizontal part of the slide before stopping. The distance S1 = 1.11 m and the angle of the incline is θ = 31.1o. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction for the mass on the surface.

PhysicsGraph.jpg

Homework Equations

E= KE + U

E+ W (ext) = 0 -> E = -W (ext) (which is the work done by frictional force)

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've analysed the x and y components of the mass on path S1 and path S2. This is what I've got

Path S1:
y-dir: N = mgcosθ
x-dir: ƩF = -F(friction) + mgsinθ = -μmgcosθ + mgsinθ

So W1 ( work done on S1) = S1(-μmgcosθ + mgsinθ)

Path S2:
W2 = -μmg(S2)

Since -W (total) = E
W1+W2 = KE + U (at original position)
S1(-μmgcosθ + mgsinθ) - μmg(S2) = - [(1/2)mv2 + mgS1sinθ]

μ(S1gcosθ + gS2) = 2S1gsinθ + v2/2

μ = (2S1gsinθ + v2/2)/(S1gcosθ + gS2)

So far I've got μ = .105 but it's wrong!

I'd really appreciate if anyone helped me out with this cos I totally have no idea how to figure out the right answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can begin with part 2 and write an equation that relates the velocity at the bottom of the hill to the distance covered until it stops on the horizontal. To do this, relate the KE (including unknown V at bottom of part 1) to the work done overcoming friction. That gives you an equation with two unknowns, V and mu. There are no potential energy changes when moving horizontally.

Look at part 1 and write your energy balances. This will give you another equation with two unknowns, again being V and mu. This time you have to consider potential and kinetic energy changes as well as work. Eliminate V and solve for mu.

I'm not sure if i got u right. Does that mean that on part 1 that i have the potential energy change and the change in the KE too? (the velocity at the end of S1 is not 0?) and then on part 2 I just have the change in kinetic energy, which also equals to the work done by frictional force on S2?

LawrenceC said:
You can begin with part 2 and write an equation that relates the velocity at the bottom of the hill to the distance covered until it stops on the horizontal. To do this, relate the KE (including unknown V at bottom of part 1) to the work done overcoming friction. That gives you an equation with two unknowns, V and mu. There are no potential energy changes when moving horizontally.

Look at part 1 and write your energy balances. This will give you another equation with two unknowns, again being V and mu. This time you have to consider potential and kinetic energy changes as well as work. Eliminate V and solve for mu.

I'm not sure if i got u right. Does that mean that on part 1 that i have the potential energy change and the change in the KE too? (the velocity at the end of S1 is not 0?) and then on part 2 I just have the change in kinetic energy, which also equals to the work done by frictional force on S2?

Does that mean that on part 1 that i have the potential energy change and the change in the KE too? (the velocity at the end of S1 is not 0?)

Correct. The mass has an initial velocity and it will also have a final velocity that is different and unknown but it is the initial velocity for part 2. The initial velocity at the start of part 1 is given.

On part 2 the kinetic energy change is what it was at the end of part 1 and zero and it equals the work done against friction.

FAQ: Coefficient of kinetic friction on 2 different parts

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces when there is relative motion between them. It is denoted by the symbol μk and is a unitless value.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to keep an object moving at a constant velocity.

3. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ between two different materials?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can vary greatly between different materials and surfaces. It depends on factors such as the roughness and texture of the surfaces, as well as the presence of any lubricants or other substances. The values for different materials can range from very low (such as ice on ice) to very high (such as rubber on concrete).

4. Why is it important to know the coefficient of kinetic friction between two parts?

Understanding the coefficient of kinetic friction between two parts is crucial in many engineering and scientific applications. It can help determine the optimal materials and design for objects that need to move or slide against each other, as well as aid in predicting the amount of force and energy required to overcome frictional forces.

5. Can the coefficient of kinetic friction change over time?

Yes, the coefficient of kinetic friction can change over time. Factors such as wear and tear on the surfaces, temperature changes, and the presence of contaminants can all affect the coefficient of kinetic friction. It is important to regularly monitor and account for any changes in order to maintain accuracy in calculations and predictions involving friction.