Coefficient of Static Friction on a Banked Curve

In summary: Yes, that is correct. The force of static friction is simply the sum of the forces acting on the object (in this case, the car) due to the static coefficient of friction μ and the applied force f_s.
wingman358

Homework Statement

If a curve with a radius of 90 m is properly banked for a car traveling 68 [tex]\frac{km}{h}[/tex], what must be the coefficient of static friction for a car not to skid when traveling at 98 [tex]\frac{km}{h}[/tex]?

Homework Equations

I know I need
[tex]\Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a}[/tex][tex]f_s <= \mu_s N[/tex]

and

[tex] a_c = \frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I first solved for [tex]\theta[/tex], which is the angle of embankment at which a car traveling 68 [tex]\frac{km}{h}[/tex] will need no friction to travel along a curve of radius 90 m.

Given

[tex]\Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a}[/tex]

with pertinent variables:

[tex]f_s = ma_c[/tex]

substituting for [tex]a_c[/tex]:

[tex]f_s = m\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

substituting for [tex]f_s[/tex]:

[tex]\mu_s N = m\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

substituting for [tex]N[/tex]:

[tex]\mu_s mg\tan{\theta} = m\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

dividing by m:

[tex]\mu_s g\tan{\theta} = \frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

solving for [tex]\mu_s[/tex]:

[tex]\mu_s = \frac{v^2}{gr\tan{\theta}}[/tex]

Now substituting in for all known variables ([tex]v, g, r, and \theta[/tex]), [tex]\mu_s[/tex] equals 2.077, which MasteringPhysics does not accept.

Now, I'm very confused on this problem, mainly because I'm unsure if my free body diagram is correct:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5083/physfbd.th.png

Note: image is not to scale

Any help or hints would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Strictly speaking, when the speed is balanced to the curve you really have

Cosθ *m* V2/R = Sinθ *m*g

To balance that equation however when the speed is greater than optimal you have a frictional force that is made up of

μ *m*(sinθ*V2/R + cosθ*g)

don't you?

LowlyPion said:
Strictly speaking, when the speed is balanced to the curve you really have

To balance that equation however when the speed is greater than optimal you have a frictional force that is made up of

don't you?

LowlyPion, thank you for your quick response, but I'm not sure what you mean.

in the equation you gave me:

where do the Cosθ and Sinθ come from?

wingman358 said:
LowlyPion, thank you for your quick response, but I'm not sure what you mean.

in the equation you gave me:

where do the Cosθ and Sinθ come from?

Those are the components of the horizontal force (centripetal) and the vertical force (gravity) that balance || along the surface of the incline.

You may be more familiar with seeing it as

V2/R = Sinθ/cosθ *m*g = tanθ *m*g

LowlyPion said:
Those are the components of the horizontal force (centripetal) and the vertical force (gravity) that balance || along the surface of the incline.

You may be more familiar with seeing it as

V2/R = Sinθ/cosθ *m*g = tanθ *m*g

I apologize for being so inept, but I'm still lost. Can you show/tell me step-by-step how to get to the correct answer?

wingman358 said:
I apologize for being so inept, but I'm still lost. Can you show/tell me step-by-step how to get to the correct answer?

Well you originally used:
[tex]\mu_s N = m\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]
substituting for N:
[tex]\mu_s mg\tan{\theta} = m\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

To determine the angle θ at the optimal speed for the curve, you are only balancing the downward force of gravity along the incline mg*sinθ against the upward force from the centripetal acceleration (m*v2/r)*cosθ. Or ...

mg*sinθ = (m*v2/r)*cosθ

This formula gives you the optimal angle for radius and velocity with no reliance on friction.

Now that you are entertaining higher speeds, you have another component that needs to be considered (it was previously 0 for the optimal angle at 68km/h). And that is the additional term I mentioned earlier derived from the normal components of gravity and centripetal acceleration and expressed through the coefficient of friction necessary to resist slipping at the higher speed.

LowlyPion said:
Well you originally used:To determine the angle θ at the optimal speed for the curve, you are only balancing the downward force of gravity along the incline mg*sinθ against the upward force from the centripetal acceleration (m*v2/r)*cosθ. Or ...

mg*sinθ = (m*v2/r)*cosθ

This formula gives you the optimal angle for radius and velocity with no reliance on friction.

Now that you are entertaining higher speeds, you have another component that needs to be considered (it was previously 0 for the optimal angle at 68km/h). And that is the additional term I mentioned earlier derived from the normal components of gravity and centripetal acceleration and expressed through the coefficient of friction necessary to resist slipping at the higher speed.

Okay so I understand that the equation
mg*sinθ = (m*v2/r)*cosθ
indicates the force acting down the slope is equivalent to the force acting up the slope (hence, no acceleration up or down the slope and therefore no friction needed).

Furthermore, if I understand you correctly,

[tex]f_s[/tex] = μ *m*(sinθ*V2/R + cosθ*g)

where f_s is force of static friction. Is that right?

Last edited:
Yes. That's correct.

So what they want is what minimum value of μ to keep it from slipping at the increased speed.

LowlyPion said:
So what they want is what minimum value of μ to keep it from slipping at the increased speed.

I understand that, but I don't know how to do the set up an equation to solve. Could you draw a free body diagram of the car with the added force of static friction? I just can't visualize the forces...

wingman358 said:
Okay I managed to figure it out with the help of this website: http://www.batesville.k12.in.us/physics/PhyNet/Mechanics/Circular Motion/banked_with_friction.htm

(Those are better drawings than you could have expected from me I can say.)

You have figured then that the frictional force must account for the excess the centripetal force from the speed and can be added to the gravitational component of force down the incline. Knowing the other values then you can solve for μ.

Related to Coefficient of Static Friction on a Banked Curve

1. What is the coefficient of static friction on a banked curve?

The coefficient of static friction on a banked curve is a measure of the amount of friction between a stationary object and a banked surface. It is a dimensionless quantity that determines the maximum angle at which a vehicle can safely travel around a curved surface without slipping.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction on a banked curve calculated?

The coefficient of static friction on a banked curve is calculated by dividing the maximum lateral force that can be exerted on the object by the normal force of the banked surface on the object. It is represented by the symbol μs.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction on a banked curve?

The coefficient of static friction on a banked curve is affected by several factors, including the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the force of gravity. It is also influenced by the angle of the banked surface and the weight of the object.

4. Why is the coefficient of static friction important for vehicles on banked curves?

The coefficient of static friction is important for vehicles on banked curves because it determines the maximum speed at which a vehicle can safely travel without slipping or sliding. If the coefficient of static friction is too low, the vehicle may lose traction and slide off the banked surface, resulting in a potential accident.

5. How can the coefficient of static friction on a banked curve be increased?

The coefficient of static friction on a banked curve can be increased by increasing the roughness of the surfaces in contact, increasing the angle of the banked surface, or increasing the weight of the object. Additionally, using materials with high coefficients of friction, such as rubber, can also increase the coefficient of static friction.