Coefficient of static friction.

In summary, a 1980kg car starts from rest at point A on a 5° incline and coasts to point B, then stops at point C. By finding the acceleration from point B to point C and setting it equal to the force of friction minus the component of gravity, the coefficient of static friction can be found to be greater than or equal to tan(5°). To solve the problem, set up equations for position, velocity, and acceleration and solve for the unknowns.
alvarez91

Homework Statement

A 1980kg car starts from rest at point A on a 5° incline and coasts through a distance of 158m to point B. The brakes are then applied, causing the car to come to a stop at point C, 21m from point B. Knowing that slipping is impending during the braking period and neglecting air resistance, determine the coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road.

Homework Equations

Vf^2 = V0^2 + 2ad
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the velocity at point B by: V = sqrt(0 + 2*(9.81*sin(5))*158) = 16.4371 m/s

I then find the acceleration from point B to point C by: 0 = 16.4371^2 + 2*a*21
∴ a = -6.4328 m/s^2

Then I try and find the coefficient of static friction by:
F = ma = -μmgcos(5)
cancelling the m's: -6.4328 = -μ*9.81*cos(5)
This gives me: μ = .6582 which is not correct. What am I missing? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
alvarez91 said:

Homework Statement

A 1980kg car starts from rest at point A on a 5° incline and coasts through a distance of 158m to point B. The brakes are then applied, causing the car to come to a stop at point C, 21m from point B. Knowing that slipping is impending during the braking period and neglecting air resistance, determine the coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road.

Homework Equations

Vf^2 = V0^2 + 2ad
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the velocity at point B by: V = sqrt(0 + 2*(9.81*sin(5))*158) = 16.4371 m/s

I then find the acceleration from point B to point C by: 0 = 16.4371^2 + 2*a*21
∴ a = -6.4328 m/s^2

F = ma = -μmgcos(5)
This gives me: μ = .6582 which is not correct. What am I missing? Thanks for any help.
When the car stops there is no acceleration. The acceleration you got for the braking period is irrelevant.

ehild

Should I only be concerned with the forces of the car when it is stopped?
If so, would it be F = mgsin(5)?

Then I get: mgsin(5) = μmgcos(5)
which would give me: μ = tan(5) = .0875, but that seems too small.

You are right, that is too small, but static friction is not a defined quantity. So mgsin(5) ≤ μmgcos(5), μ≥tan(5°). Perhaps they want the coefficient of friction during the braking period, and they say, it is static friction as the tyres do not slip, but they are at the brink of slipping so the static friction is at its maximum.
But you did not calculate that correctly: you need to include both the component of gravity and the force of friction into the resultant force, ma.

ehild

Last edited:
alvarez91 said:
∴ a = -6.4328 m/s^2

F = ma = -μmgcos(5)

I was confused with the expression "slipping is impending". Read my edited previous post, and include the force of gravity in your equation:

F=ma=mgsin(5)-μmgcos(5)

ehild

So if you set the acceleration to zero what happens? ...
You need to slow the block down, so Newton's Law say you have to slow it down.

To actually solve this problem, one method you can use is to set up three equations, one for position, one for velocity, and one for acceleration. You've already found the acceleration, and you can express the other two as functions of time assuming constant acceleration. Solve for your unknowns and you should find find the coefficient of friction.

Related to Coefficient of static friction.

1. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the force required to overcome the static friction between two surfaces in contact. It is represented by the symbol "μ" and is a dimensionless quantity.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction calculated?

The coefficient of static friction is calculated by dividing the maximum amount of static friction force by the normal force between the two surfaces. This can be represented by the equation μ = Fs,max / N.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is influenced by the types of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force pushing the surfaces together. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity.

4. How does the coefficient of static friction differ from the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of static friction is the measure of the force required to start an object in motion, while the coefficient of kinetic friction is the measure of the force required to keep an object in motion. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction for the same surfaces.

5. Why is the coefficient of static friction important?

The coefficient of static friction is important because it helps us understand the forces involved in keeping an object at rest on a surface. It is also crucial in calculating the maximum possible force that can be applied to an object before it starts to slide or move. This information is important in many real-world applications, such as designing brakes for vehicles or ensuring the stability of structures.