Coefficient Static Friction Problem

In summary, a student attempted a physics question and used kinematics to find acceleration, then used F=ma to find the friction force and F=mg to find the upward force. They then used Mui = Ff/Fn and got an answer of 0.56. They questioned if this was too simple and if the speed of the truck should be taken into consideration, since both the crate and truck were traveling at 80kph. Another person confirmed that the student did it correctly and clarified that the only important factor is the speed of the crate when it hits the ground.
Lebelee
Hey guys, i attempted this question and got an answer but I'm not sure if i did it right, since it seemed too simple too me.

http://www.physics.ubc.ca/~mattison/Courses/Phys170/p170-ps6.pdf

It is question #4 on the link, and what i did was use kinematics to find acceleration then simply use F=ma to find the Friction force, (Ff) and F=mg to find the upward force (Fn) and then use Mui = Ff/FN

and got an answer around 0.56.

I was wondering if this is too simple or if the speed of the truck has anything to do with this calculation, since i did not take that into consideration since both the speed of the crate and truck were 80kph (22.2m/s)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you did it correctly to me. All that matters is the speed of the crate when it hits the ground.

Thanks Al.

FAQ: Coefficient Static Friction Problem

1. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the maximum frictional force that must be overcome before an object starts to move while in contact with a surface. It is denoted by the symbol μ and is a unitless value.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction determined?

The coefficient of static friction can be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to start an object moving on a surface and dividing it by the normal force acting on the object. This process is repeated at various angles and the average value is taken as the coefficient of static friction.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is affected by the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force applied to the object. It also varies with temperature and can be affected by the presence of lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.

4. How does the coefficient of static friction differ from the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of static friction represents the maximum frictional force required to start an object moving, while the coefficient of kinetic friction represents the frictional force acting on an object in motion. The coefficient of kinetic friction is typically lower than the coefficient of static friction.

5. How is the coefficient of static friction used in real-world applications?

The coefficient of static friction is used to determine the amount of force required to move an object on a given surface. It is important in designing machines and structures that must overcome frictional forces, such as tires on a road, brakes on a car, or the grip of a rock climber's shoes on a wall.

Back