Coefficients of capacitance with spherical shell problem

In summary, the problem involves a metal sphere surrounded by a concentric metal shell with air as the dielectric. The coefficients of capacitance for this setup can be calculated using potential coefficients, but the equations used in the attempt at a solution may be incorrect. The solution will involve determining the charge distribution on the inner and outer surfaces of the shell at radii R2 and R3, with equal and opposite charges on the central sphere and shell. The solution will be provided at a later time.
reaper929

Homework Statement

Metal sphere of radius R1 is surrounded by a concentric metal shell of inner radius R2 and outer radius R3. The dielectric is air. Calculate coefficients of capacitance for the given setup.

Homework Equations

Picture of the problem:

14j82hl.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried arriving to the solution by using coefficients of potential. I have done the following:

[itex]\varphi_{1}=Q_{1}/4\pi\epsilon_{0}R_{1}+Q_{2}/4\pi\epsilon_{0}R_{3}
\\\varphi_{2}=Q_{1}/4\pi\epsilon_{0}R_{3}+Q_{2}/4\pi\epsilon_{0}R_{3}[/itex]

But it looks errorneous to me. Can anybody clarify the matter for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
reaper929 said:
[itex]\varphi_{1}=Q_{1}/4\pi\epsilon_{0}R_{1}+Q_{2}/4\pi\epsilon_{0}R_{3}
\\\varphi_{2}=Q_{1}/4\pi\epsilon_{0}R_{3}+Q_{2}/4\pi\epsilon_{0}R_{3}[/itex]
Pls define these variables.
Bear in mind that the charge on the shell will consist of a distribution on its inner surface and another on its outer surface.

Can you give me a hint about how it will look?

reaper929 said:
Can you give me a hint about how it will look?
There will be a uniform spherical charge distribution at each of the three radii. I would take there to be equal and opposite charges on the central sphere and the enclosing shell, so the total charge is zero.
Can you develop the equations to determine how the charge is split between R2 and R3?

I have succeeded. I'll put the solution here tomorrow. I'm in a bit of an exam hurry right now. Thx for the hint :)

FAQ: Coefficients of capacitance with spherical shell problem

1. What are coefficients of capacitance with spherical shell problem?

The coefficients of capacitance with spherical shell problem refers to the calculation of the capacitance of a spherical shell, which is a conducting sphere with a hollow interior. It is a common problem in electrostatics, where the capacitance is a measure of the ability of the spherical shell to store electric charge.

2. How do you calculate the coefficients of capacitance with spherical shell problem?

The coefficients of capacitance with spherical shell problem can be calculated using the formula C = 4πεR, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of free space, and R is the radius of the spherical shell. This formula applies for a spherical shell with a uniform charge distribution.

3. What factors affect the coefficients of capacitance with spherical shell problem?

The coefficients of capacitance with spherical shell problem are affected by several factors, including the size of the spherical shell, the distance between the shell and any nearby conductors, and the material properties of the shell and surrounding materials. The shape and symmetry of the shell can also play a role in the calculation.

4. Why are coefficients of capacitance with spherical shell problem important in science?

The coefficients of capacitance with spherical shell problem are important in science because they help us understand and analyze the behavior of electric fields and charges. They also have practical applications in various technologies, such as in the design of capacitors for electronic devices.

5. What are some real-world examples of the coefficients of capacitance with spherical shell problem?

Real-world examples of the coefficients of capacitance with spherical shell problem include the design of spherical capacitors used in electronic circuits, the calculation of the capacitance of Earth's ionosphere, and the study of the electric fields and charges in spherical conductors used in particle accelerators.

Back