Coeffiecient of Kinetic Friction problem? (Shuffleboard and Distance traveled)

In summary, the problem is asking for the distance traveled by a shuffleboard disk released at a speed of 5.8m/s on a concrete court with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.31. Using the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2a∆d, where vf is the final velocity of 0m/s, vi is the initial velocity of 5.8m/s, and a is the acceleration caused by friction, the distance traveled (∆d) can be calculated to be approximately 15.8m.
glindawantsme
Coeffiecient of Kinetic Friction problem? (Shuffleboard and Distance traveled)

Homework Statement

A shuffleboard disk is accelerated to a speed of 5.8m/s and released. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the disk and the concrete court is 0.31, how far does the disk go before it comes to a stop? The courts are 15.8m long.

Known info:
vi = 5.8m/s
vf = 0m/s
[tex]\mu[/tex]k = 0.31

Homework Equations

I have no idea!

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I originally tried vf2 = vi2+ 2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]d, but that would make no sense because I used 15.8 as the distance but then the problem would be solved...

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

glindawantsme said:
A shuffleboard disk is accelerated to a speed of 5.8m/s and released. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the disk and the concrete court is 0.31, how far does the disk go before it comes to a stop? The courts are 15.8m long.

So, I originally tried vf2 = vi2+ 2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]d, but that would make no sense because I used 15.8 as the distance but then the problem would be solved...

Hi glindawantsme! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a delta: ∆ :smile:)

Yes, that is the right equation …

So what is vf? what is vi? and what is a?

Put them all in, and find ∆d. :smile:

Hello,

To solve this problem, you can use the equation F = µkN, where F is the force of kinetic friction, µk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force. The normal force in this case is equal to the weight of the disk, which can be calculated using the formula Fg = mg, where m is the mass of the disk and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

Once you have calculated the force of kinetic friction, you can use Newton's second law, F = ma, to find the acceleration of the disk. Then, you can use the equation vf = vi + at to find the time it takes for the disk to come to a stop.

Finally, you can use the equation d = vit + 1/2at^2 to find the distance traveled by the disk before it comes to a stop. Remember to use the time calculated in the previous step and the initial velocity of 5.8 m/s.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Coeffiecient of Kinetic Friction problem? (Shuffleboard and Distance traveled)

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in motion. It is represented by the symbol "μ" and is a unitless value typically ranging from 0 to 1, with lower values indicating less friction and higher values indicating more friction.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated in a shuffleboard problem?

In a shuffleboard problem, the coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. The force of friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of kinetic friction by the normal force. The normal force is equal to the weight of the object being pushed in the shuffleboard game.

3. What factors can affect the coefficient of kinetic friction in a shuffleboard game?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be affected by several factors, including the type of surface the shuffleboard is played on, the weight and material of the puck, and the speed at which the puck is pushed. Rougher surfaces and heavier pucks tend to have higher coefficients of kinetic friction, while smoother surfaces and lighter pucks have lower coefficients of kinetic friction.

4. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction affect the distance traveled by a puck in a shuffleboard game?

The coefficient of kinetic friction plays a significant role in the distance traveled by a puck in a shuffleboard game. A higher coefficient of kinetic friction means there is more resistance between the puck and the playing surface, resulting in a shorter distance traveled. Conversely, a lower coefficient of kinetic friction means there is less resistance and the puck will travel a longer distance.

5. Can the coefficient of kinetic friction be changed in a shuffleboard game?

Yes, the coefficient of kinetic friction can be changed in a shuffleboard game by altering the factors that affect it, such as the surface, puck weight, and pushing speed. For example, using a smoother and waxed surface can decrease the coefficient of kinetic friction, resulting in a longer distance traveled by the puck. Likewise, using a heavier puck or pushing with more force can increase the coefficient of kinetic friction and decrease the distance traveled.