Coin-vertical displacement question and other

In summary, a marble and a coin are released from the top of a perfectly hemispherical dome with a 10-meter radius. The dome is treated with a frictionless coating and there is no air friction. The coin will slide, not roll, and will hit the ground first due to its higher kinetic energy. The question is whether or not the coin will stay in contact with the dome until it reaches the ground, and if not, what its vertical displacement will be and how far from the base of the dome it will hit the ground. To solve this, it is necessary to find the height or angle where the normal force becomes zero. This can be done by using energy equations, such as h = r(1 - cosθ
Elo21
Coin--vertical displacement question and other

Homework Statement

A Perfectly hemispherical dome with a 10. meter radius is treated with a frictionless coating. A marble and a coin are released from the top of the dome simultaneously. We will assume there is no air friction. The coin will slide, not roll. The coin will hit the ground first because it has more kinetic energy.

2. Questions
Show mathematically whether or not the coin will stay in contact with the dome until it reaches the ground. If it does not, what will the coin's vertical displacement be at the instant it loses contact with the dome, and how far from the base of the dome will the coin hit the ground? (be clear and include explanations where necessary)

3. Attempt at the solution

This part is where I am confused.
I know that when the normal force is greater then the weight (or gravitational force) the coin will lose contact with the dome.

I am lost on how to show it mathematically and where to start.

Please Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello Elo21 ! :smile:
Elo21 said:
know that when the normal force is greater then the weight (or gravitational force) the coin will lose contact with the dome.

Nooo :redface:

the coin will lose contact when the normal force is zero. :wink:

Okay.

So to solve it I would have to find where on the surface Fn=0, like the height from the radius/ diameter of the circle. Then using that use an equation to find the angle that it comes off at?

Sorry if I do not make sense. :(

Yes, find the height or the angle where FN = 0. :smile:

so then...

if i go about finding the height using energy...

Total E= mgh+1/2mv2

and GPE equals mgh but becuase of the radius I can assume it equals mgr

GPE= total E= mgr

mgr=mgh+ 1/2mv2

Cancel m so I have

gr=gh+1/2v2

I know all variables now except for h and v and I want to solve for v.
So what would I put in for v to find h?

Once I know that I can do the rest... I just can't figure it out!

THANK YOU!

Sorry if that did not make sense...I am bad at explain things. :)

(just got up :zzz: …)
Elo21 said:
so then...

if i go about finding the height using energy...

Total E= mgh+1/2mv2

and GPE equals mgh but becuase of the radius I can assume it equals mgr

No, that would mean h is constant.

You need v as a function of θ, so use h = r(1 - cosθ).

Try again. :smile:

Related to Coin-vertical displacement question and other

1. What is coin-vertical displacement?

Coin-vertical displacement refers to the distance a coin travels vertically when it is released from a certain height above a flat surface.

2. How is coin-vertical displacement measured?

Coin-vertical displacement is typically measured in units of length, such as centimeters or inches, using a ruler or measuring tape.

3. What factors can affect coin-vertical displacement?

The weight, size, and shape of the coin can affect its vertical displacement, as well as the surface it is released on and any external forces acting on it.

4. How does the height from which the coin is released impact its vertical displacement?

The higher the height from which the coin is released, the greater its vertical displacement will be due to the increase in potential energy.

5. What other applications does coin-vertical displacement have?

Coin-vertical displacement is often used in physics experiments to study motion and gravity. It can also be used to determine the thickness or density of a material by dropping a coin onto its surface and measuring the displacement.