Cold? sun light untill it interacts with oxygen

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between sunlight and temperature. It is clarified that light does not have a temperature, but it can affect the temperature of its surroundings. The idea of heat being created by the sun and dissipating as it travels through space is also mentioned. A thread is recommended for further reading.
Robin07
Hello everyone, I've been on Electrical Engineering for a little while but new to this aspect of science.

I'm not sure of course but when sunlight travels through space, would it be the approximate temperature of its' surrounding area, pretty cool? And when it hits our oxygenated atmosphere it, or the surrounding area heats up? I find this interesting because, we would assume that when the light is closest to the sun it would naturally be hot then leaving from this ball of fire it cools down and then heats up when it gets here. I understand that energy cannot be destroyed and that it only changes state, is this what's happening here?

Robin07

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not exactly sure how to put this. Light doesn't actually have a temperature, but it can affect the temperature of things that it interacts with. Saying that light is 'hot' is sort of like saying that a graviton is 'heavy'. Somebody else had better handle this; it's a bit out of my realm.

OK. silly question... I think you have clarified it very well. So I would say that the heat that is being created by the sun has very much dissipated and it's the surrounding area that the light interacts with is heated up.

Thanks

Related to Cold? sun light untill it interacts with oxygen

What is the relationship between cold and sunlight interacting with oxygen?

Cold and sunlight have a complex relationship when it comes to interacting with oxygen. When sunlight shines on oxygen molecules in the air, it causes them to split into two separate oxygen atoms. These atoms then react with other oxygen molecules to form ozone, which is a vital component of our atmosphere. However, colder temperatures can slow down this process, leading to a decrease in ozone production.

How does the interaction between cold and sunlight affect the Earth's atmosphere?

The interaction between cold and sunlight plays a crucial role in maintaining the balance of gases in the Earth's atmosphere. As mentioned earlier, sunlight causes oxygen molecules to split and form ozone, which helps protect us from harmful UV radiation. At the same time, colder temperatures can also slow down the breakdown of other gases, leading to the buildup of greenhouse gases and contributing to global warming.

What factors can affect the interaction between cold and sunlight?

Several factors can affect the interaction between cold and sunlight, including the angle and intensity of sunlight, the composition of the atmosphere, and the temperature of the surrounding air. Additionally, human activities such as the emission of pollutants and greenhouse gases can also impact this interaction.

Why is it important to study the interaction between cold and sunlight?

Studying the interaction between cold and sunlight is crucial for understanding how our atmosphere functions and how it is affected by human activities. It also helps us predict and mitigate the effects of global warming and ozone depletion. By studying this interaction, we can also develop strategies to protect and preserve our planet's atmosphere.

Are there any other interactions between cold and sunlight that are worth exploring?

Yes, there are many other interactions between cold and sunlight that are worth exploring. For example, sunlight can also affect the formation of clouds, which in turn can impact the Earth's climate. The relationship between cold and sunlight can also influence plant growth and animal behavior. Further research in this area can provide valuable insights into our environment and how it is changing.

Back