Collar On Rod - velocity and acceleration

XIn summary, the problem involves a rotating rod with a collar attached to it, with the distance of the collar from the pivot point being represented by a function of time. The velocity and acceleration of the collar can be found by taking the first and second derivatives of the position vector, respectively. The acceleration of the collar relative to the rod is given by the second derivative of the distance function, and is always perpendicular to the rod. It is important to note that these values represent the instantaneous velocity and acceleration at any given time t, and to find the total velocity and acceleration, the magnitudes of these vectors must be taken. The solution provided appears to be correct, but it would be beneficial to include units for clarity.
nuggets

Homework Statement

Rod with length PV (P is a pivot point) with collar on rod. Rotation of rod PV about P is [tex]\theta = 2 t^2[/tex]. distance d of collar from pivot point of rod is [tex]d = 60t^2 - 20t^3[/tex]. I have to find:
(1) the velocity of the collar
(2) the total acceleration of the collar
(3) the acceleration of the collar relative to the rod

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming no friction.
I have created the vector r from pivot P to the collar
[tex]\vec{r} = cos(2t^2)(60t^2 - 20t^3)\hat{i} + sin(2r^2)(60t^2 - 20t^3)\hat{j}[/tex]

I think that the answer to 1 is the first derivative of [tex]\vec{r}[/tex]
And the answer to 2 is the second derivative of [tex]\vec{r}[/tex]
And the answer to 3 is the second derivative of d: [tex]\ddot{d} = 120(1-t)[/tex]

I have calculated [tex]\dot{\vec{r}}[/tex] and [tex]\ddot{\vec{r}}[/tex], but I have not included them here for brevity.

Am I solving this correctly?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It appears that you have correctly solved for the velocity and acceleration of the collar. Your approach of using vectors and derivatives is appropriate for this problem. However, I would like to point out a few things for clarification.

Firstly, for the velocity of the collar, you have correctly taken the first derivative of the position vector, but it should be noted that this gives the instantaneous velocity at any given time t. To find the total velocity, you would need to take the magnitude of this vector, i.e. ||\dot{\vec{r}}||. This will give you the speed of the collar at any given time.

Secondly, for the total acceleration of the collar, you have taken the second derivative of the position vector, but it should be noted that this gives the instantaneous acceleration at any given time t. To find the total acceleration, you would need to take the magnitude of this vector, i.e. ||\ddot{\vec{r}}||. This will give you the magnitude of the acceleration at any given time.

Lastly, for the acceleration of the collar relative to the rod, your answer appears to be correct, but it would be helpful to include the units for clarity. Also, it should be noted that the acceleration of the collar relative to the rod is always perpendicular to the rod, as it is caused by the rotation of the rod about the pivot point.

Overall, it seems that you have a good understanding of the problem and have solved it correctly. Keep up the good work! If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to post them in the forum.

Scientist

Related to Collar On Rod - velocity and acceleration

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In simpler terms, velocity measures how fast an object is moving in a particular direction, while acceleration measures how quickly the velocity is changing.

2. How is velocity calculated in a collar on rod experiment?

In a collar on rod experiment, velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of a collar on rod?

The velocity of a collar on rod can be affected by various factors such as the length and material of the rod, the weight and shape of the collar, and the force applied to the collar. Other external factors like air resistance and friction can also have an impact on the velocity.

4. How does acceleration relate to the velocity of a collar on rod?

Acceleration and velocity are closely related in a collar on rod experiment. When the collar experiences a change in velocity, it is said to be accelerating. The direction of acceleration may be the same as the direction of velocity (in the case of speeding up) or opposite (in the case of slowing down).

5. Can velocity and acceleration be negative in a collar on rod experiment?

Yes, both velocity and acceleration can be negative in a collar on rod experiment. A negative velocity indicates that the collar is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction, while a negative acceleration indicates that the collar is slowing down. This can occur when an external force is acting on the collar in the opposite direction of its initial motion.