College Algebra Simplifying Exponents

The other one leads to ##9 = (-1)^2 = 1##, which is false.In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a mathematical problem involving negative exponents. The original problem is solved using two different methods - one by the individual posting and one by their teacher. The individual's method is correct but utilizes the convention of positive square roots, while the teacher's method uses the technical definition of square roots. The conversation also delves into the use of brackets and convention in mathematical expressions.
velox_xox
Hi everyone. I'm back and happy to be back. I missed math. Anyways, I am taking a college Algebra class as it has been a while, and I definitely want to make sure I have a good foundation for higher maths. But, I have a conundrum. The teacher today gave this example that I thought I had solved correctly, but I did it differently. :eek: I'm going to post how I solved it and how the teacher solved it.

My Way:

Homework Statement

[tex]-9^{-3/2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]-9^{-3/2} [/tex]
[tex]=-(\frac{1}{9^3})^{1/2}[/tex]
[tex]=-(\frac{1}{729})^{1/2}[/tex]
[tex]=-(\frac{1}{27})[/tex] ^^
[tex]=±\frac{1}{27}[/tex]

^^ Did I bend the rules here? It's a negative before that... but then a negative of a negative ('cuz of the square root) is a positive, so plus-minus.

TEACHER'S WAY:

Homework Statement

[tex]-9^{-3/2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

--

[tex]-9^{-3/2} [/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{-9^{3/2}}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{-(9^{1/2})^3}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{-1}{(3)^3}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{-1}{27}[/tex]
[tex]=±\frac{1}{27}[/tex]All right, so that's it. The problem solved... my way and the teacher's way. I just want to make sure the answer is correct (never hurts to verify), and that I'm not bending the rules of math again. Thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
velox_xox said:
Hi everyone. I'm back and happy to be back. I missed math. Anyways, I am taking a college Algebra class as it has been a while, and I definitely want to make sure I have a good foundation for higher maths. But, I have a conundrum. The teacher today gave this example that I thought I had solved correctly, but I did it differently. :eek: I'm going to post how I solved it and how the teacher solved it.

My Way:

Homework Statement

[tex]-9^{-3/2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

--

[tex]-9^{-3/2} [/tex]
[tex]=-(\frac{1}{9^3})^{1/2}[/tex]
[tex]=-(\frac{1}{729})^{1/2}[/tex]
[tex]=-(\frac{1}{27})[/tex] ^^
[tex]=±\frac{1}{27}[/tex]

By convention, [itex]x^{1/2}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] both mean the positive root. Hence [itex]-9^{-3/2} = -(9^{-3/2}) = -(3^{-3}) = -\frac{1}{27}[/itex].

I agree with pasmith, but if your teacher had the plus-minus, then the probably are using the more technical definition: ##\sqrt{9} = \pm 3##

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I agree with pasmith, but if your teacher had the plus-minus, then the probably are using the more technical definition: ##\sqrt{9} = \pm 3##

No, it just indicates that the teacher is unaware of the technical definition, which is [itex]\sqrt{x} \geq 0[/itex].

The set of numbers [itex]x[/itex] such that [itex]x^2 = 9[/itex] is [itex]\{-3,3\}[/itex] for which [itex]x = \pm 3[/itex] is an abbreviation. But [itex]\sqrt{9} = 3[/itex].

What you did is fine, the only thing I want to point out is ##(-9)^{-3/2}## ,which is what your original problem looks like, is completely different from ##-(9)^{-3/2}## which is how you treated the problem.

The first solution is imaginary while the second has the real solutions that both you and your teacher arrived at.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
What you did is fine, the only thing I want to point out is ##(-9)^{-3/2}## ,which is what your original problem looks like, is completely different from ##-(9)^{-3/2}## which is how you treated the problem.

By convention, [itex]-a^b[/itex] means [itex]-(a^b)[/itex]. If you want [itex](-a)^b[/itex] you need the brackets.

pasmith said:
No, it just indicates that the teacher is unaware of the technical definition, which is [itex]\sqrt{x} \geq 0[/itex].

The set of numbers [itex]x[/itex] such that [itex]x^2 = 9[/itex] is [itex]\{-3,3\}[/itex] for which [itex]x = \pm 3[/itex] is an abbreviation. But [itex]\sqrt{9} = 3[/itex].

Hmmm... I see what you're saying, (see my post about imaginary solutions) but in what I'm assuming is the context of class (please OP, correct me if I'm wrong because I very well may be)

##\sqrt{9} = x##
Solve for x as follows:
##\sqrt{9}^2=x^2##
##9 = x^2##
##0= x^2 -9##
##0 = (x+3)(x-3)##

##x= \pm 3##

pasmith said:
By convention, [itex]-a^b[/itex] means [itex]-(a^b)[/itex]. If you want [itex](-a)^b[/itex] you need the brackets.

OK well I'm not going to argue over convention. I just always tend to over use brackets for clarity, soo...

I bid you adieu

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Hmmm... I see what you're saying, (see my post about imaginary solutions) but in what I'm assuming is the context of class (please OP, correct me if I'm wrong because I very well may be)

##\sqrt{9} = x##
Solve for x as follows:
##\sqrt{9}^2=x^2##
The first line implies the second, but not vice versa.

Using the same logic, I could say: ##x = 1##, therefore ##x^2 = 1##, therefore ##x^2 - 1 = 0##, therefore ##(x-1)(x+1) = 0##, therefore ##x=1## or ##x=-1##. Which is of course true: one of ##x=1## and ##x=-1## is true, but only one (##x=1##).

Related to College Algebra Simplifying Exponents

What is an exponent in college algebra?

In college algebra, an exponent is a number or variable placed above another number or variable to indicate how many times the base should be multiplied by itself. For example, in the expression 34, the 4 is the exponent and the base is 3. This means that 3 should be multiplied by itself 4 times, resulting in 81.

How do you simplify exponents in college algebra?

To simplify exponents in college algebra, you can use the laws of exponents. These include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and negative exponent rule. The product rule states that when multiplying two powers with the same base, you can add the exponents. The quotient rule states that when dividing two powers with the same base, you can subtract the exponents. The power rule states that when raising a power to another power, you can multiply the exponents. The negative exponent rule states that a negative exponent can be rewritten as the reciprocal of the positive exponent.

What is the difference between simplifying and evaluating exponents in college algebra?

While simplifying exponents involves using the laws of exponents to rewrite the expression in a simpler form, evaluating exponents involves actually calculating the value of the expression. For example, simplifying 23 would result in 8, while evaluating 23 would require calculating 2 x 2 x 2, which also results in 8.

What are common mistakes to avoid when simplifying exponents in college algebra?

Common mistakes to avoid when simplifying exponents in college algebra include forgetting to apply the laws of exponents, not distributing the exponent to all terms inside parentheses, and incorrectly simplifying negative exponents. It is important to carefully follow the rules and steps for simplifying exponents to avoid these mistakes.

How can understanding exponents help in college algebra?

Understanding exponents is essential in college algebra as it is used in many algebraic equations and can make solving them much simpler. It can also help in simplifying and manipulating expressions, as well as in graphing exponential functions. Additionally, understanding exponents can also help in other areas of math and science, such as in calculus and physics.