Collision- I don't think conservation of linear momentum can be established

In summary, the problem involves a system of two particles, one with a mass of 3kg moving west at a speed of 1m/s and the other with a mass of 4kg moving north at a speed of 5m/s. After interacting for 2 seconds, the first particle leaves with an angle of 53° measured from east to north and a speed of 5m/s. The question asks for the magnitude and direction of the second particle after the interaction, and whether the collision is explosive or plastic. The linear momentum is not necessarily conserved in this interaction due to the duration and possible external forces, but as long as the particles only interact with each other, linear momentum will still be conserved.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The system is a table with 2 particles on it. A particle of mass 3kg is going at West with a speed of [tex]\frac{1m}{s}[/tex]. Another particle of 4 kg is going to North with a speed of [tex]\frac{5m}{s}[/tex]. When they are close enough they interact during 2 seconds and the first particle leaves out with an angle of about 53° ([tex]\arctan \left( \frac{4}{3}\right)[/tex]° ) measured from East to North, with a speed of [tex]\frac{5m}{s}[/tex].
a)Find the magnitude and the direction of the second particle after the interaction.
b)... (I'll do it alone)
c)Tell whether the collision is an explosive one or a plastic one.

2. The attempt at a solution I never faced such a problem before and I was going to ask to a helper at my University tomorrow but I just can't wait for that...
I'm more than 100% sure that the linear momentum is not conserved (2s is a lot for an interaction, furthermore that's why they ask if it was an explosive or a plastic collision. That means that the mechanical energy is not conserved hence nor is the linear momentum).
My guess : The second particle will leave out following an opposite direction with respect to the first particle but I'm not sure at all. If so, I don't know why it is like this. And much less I can say about its speed.
How can I tackle this problem?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
I'm more than 100% sure that the linear momentum is not conserved (2s is a lot for an interaction, furthermore that's why they ask if it was an explosive or a plastic collision. That means that the mechanical energy is not conserved hence nor is the linear momentum).
Just because mechanical energy might not be conserved has nothing to do with whether momentum is conserved. As long as they only interact with each other, linear momentum will be conserved.

Thank you Doc Al for your very fast reply. I am... :eek: but now I remember a university helper saying that if the interaction lasts quite long the linear momentum wouldn't be conserved if there is an external force acting on the particles... ok here there is no force that influence the system.
But still it's strange that the first particle gets such a direction. Maybe an explosion or something like that. (I'll try to find out).
Thanks again...

Related to Collision- I don't think conservation of linear momentum can be established

What is conservation of linear momentum?

Conservation of linear momentum is a fundamental principle of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any external forces acting on it.

Why is conservation of linear momentum important?

Conservation of linear momentum is important because it allows us to predict and understand the motion of objects in collisions and other interactions. It is also a fundamental law of nature that has been observed and tested in countless experiments.

How is conservation of linear momentum established?

Conservation of linear momentum is established through experiments and observations. In a closed system, the total momentum before an interaction is equal to the total momentum after the interaction, as long as no external forces are acting on the system.

Can conservation of linear momentum be violated?

No, conservation of linear momentum is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be violated. However, in some cases it may appear to be violated due to external forces that are not taken into account or errors in measurement.

Why might conservation of linear momentum not be able to be established in a collision?

There are several reasons why conservation of linear momentum may not appear to be established in a collision. This could be due to external forces acting on the system, incomplete data, or errors in measurement. It is important to carefully analyze all factors in order to properly establish conservation of linear momentum in a collision.