Collision of bullet with mass hung from tree

In summary, a wooden tree trunk with a mass of 9.98kg is hung from a tree by a cord and hit by a bullet with a mass of 0.02kg and a velocity of 500m/s. The bullet gets stuck in the trunk, causing it to reach a maximum height of 0.05m. To find the time it took for the trunk to reach this height, we can split the problem into two parts: the instantaneous collision and the swing up. Using conservation of momentum, we can find the velocity after the collision. Then, using conservation of energy, we can find the height. To find the time, we can use the equation for the period of a pendulum, given that the length
devanlevin
a wooden tree trunk with A mass M=9.98kg is hung from a tree by a cord who's mass is irrelevant, it is hit by a bullet with a mass of m=0.02kg and is traveling at v1=500m/s. the bullet hits the trunk and immediately gets stuck in it, what is the maximum height that the trunk and the bullet in it will get to?

mv1=(M+m)u
u=1m/s

u being their velocity after the collision

from here using conservation of energy

0.5(M+m)u^2=(M+m)gh

h=(u^2)/(2g)

h=0.05m(using g=10m/s2)

now how do i find out how long it took the trunk to get to the height?

Physics news on Phys.org

Are you required by the question to do so? Secondly, you didn't provide the length of the cord, which I believe is needed for some circular motion calculations.

the question does ask, it also says the length is irrelevant in relation to the mass of the trunk, whatever that means,

a

Hi devanlevin! :smile:

(You don't need t or length.)

You must split the problem into two separate parts: the instantaneous collision, and the swing up.

For the collision, find u by using conservation of momentum.

Then find h by using conservation of energy. :smile:

i found both u and h, as stated in my question, but i need to find how much time it took to reach the height of h?? how do i do this?

pendulum …

devanlevin said:
i found both u and h, as stated in my question, but i need to find how much time it took to reach the height of h?? how do i do this?

Well … this is now an ordinary pendulum problem, with maximum speed u. :smile:

Do you know any equations for the period of a pendulum? :wink:

Hi tim, I'm not sure what you're on to here. The angle theta through which the cord swings might not necessarily be small, especially since we aren't given the length of the cord and it is apparent that the shorter the cord, the larger angle through which the cord swings in order to reach the same maximum height for a longer cord in a similar setup.

However if one uses the exact large amplitude mathematical model, the problem becomes horrendously complicated:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_(mathematics)#Arbitrary-amplitude_period

Last edited by a moderator:

devanlevin said:
now how do i find out how long it took the trunk to get to the height?

Can you quote the exact wording from the question where it asks for this?

cant quote it exactly because its in hebrew and i translated it, but it asks to find the velocity after the collision and the maximum height, which i did without too much of a problem. then it asks how long it will take, after the collision to reach the height, it also says that the length of the cord is not relevant so i think it might have something to do with that, ie using simple kinematics to solve it saying treating it like an inclined slope, problem is i don't know the angle because i don't know how much of the circumference the arc it goes on is,,, any ideas?

just looked at it again, the length of the cord is 2m, now how do i find the time it took

Use tiny-tim's hint:

tiny-tim said:
Do you know any equations for the period of a pendulum? :wink:

Related to Collision of bullet with mass hung from tree

1. How does the mass of the object affect the collision with the bullet?

The mass of the object does not directly affect the collision with the bullet. However, the mass of the object may affect the movement or trajectory of the object after the collision.

2. Does the height at which the mass is hung influence the collision?

The height at which the mass is hung may influence the collision if it affects the speed or trajectory of the bullet before it reaches the object. However, the mass of the object and the speed of the bullet will have a greater impact on the collision.

3. What type of material should the mass be made of for the most accurate results?

The type of material used for the mass does not significantly affect the collision with the bullet. As long as the material is sturdy enough to withstand the impact of the bullet, it should not greatly impact the results of the collision.

4. How does the angle of the bullet's trajectory affect the collision?

The angle of the bullet's trajectory can greatly affect the collision. If the bullet is fired at a perpendicular angle to the object, it will have a greater impact compared to a bullet fired at an angle. This is because the force of the impact is directly related to the angle of the collision.

5. What factors can influence the accuracy of the collision experiment?

The accuracy of the collision experiment can be influenced by several factors including the speed and angle of the bullet, the distance between the bullet and the object, and the type and size of the object. Other external factors such as air resistance and surface friction may also affect the results.