Collision of rectangles with a masses (2d space)

In summary, a collision of rectangles with masses in 2d space occurs when two rectangular objects with different masses interact in a two-dimensional space. This type of collision is different from a collision in 1d space because the objects have more degrees of freedom and can collide at different angles. The outcome of a 2d collision is determined by factors such as the masses and velocities of the objects, the angle of collision, and the coefficient of restitution. Momentum is conserved in a 2d collision, but the calculation is more complex due to the different angles involved. While the outcome of a collision can be predicted using mathematical models and equations, it may not always be accurate due to factors such as friction and external forces.
bazelboday
i'm trying to make a simple programme which emulates the behave of collision between circles and rectangles. It looks like we have a box with rectangles and circles inside with which we are able to interract by clicking on them with mouse and drag across the screen, hit another objects( rectangles or circles) and throw.
I've have done the easiest part as you can guess - the collision of circles. it is includes dynamics and statics between the circles.
the question : i don't know how to describe the collisions of rectangles mathematically.All i know that there is a Moment of inertia which is like a mass in rotatioal motion but don't know how to apply it to my task.
my efforts: I've tried to read some books about mechanics but it is just like a summary of formules, and the books is very abstractive

i would appreciate any advice on that question.

P.S. sry for my english, working on it )

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Hi there,

It sounds like you are working on an interesting project! Collision detection and physics simulations can be quite complex, but with some research and practice, I'm sure you will be able to figure it out.

First, let's talk about the collision between rectangles and circles. One way to approach this is to use the Separating Axis Theorem (SAT). This method involves checking if there is any overlap between the rectangles and circles on each axis. If there is no overlap on any axis, then there is no collision. Otherwise, you will need to calculate the point of intersection and handle the collision accordingly.

As for the math behind it, you can use the moment of inertia to calculate the rotational motion of the rectangles. This involves calculating the moment of inertia for each rectangle and then using the equations of motion to determine their movement after a collision.

I understand that reading about mechanics can be overwhelming, but it's important to have a basic understanding of the concepts in order to apply them to your project. Perhaps you can try watching some online tutorials or seeking help from a physics tutor to better understand the concepts.

Overall, my advice would be to break down the problem into smaller parts and tackle them one at a time. Don't be afraid to ask for help or do some more research. With persistence and determination, I'm sure you will be able to achieve your goal.

Good luck with your project and keep up the good work!

FAQ: Collision of rectangles with a masses (2d space)

1. What is a collision of rectangles with masses in 2d space?

A collision of rectangles with masses in 2d space refers to the interaction between two rectangular objects with different masses in a two-dimensional (2d) space. It occurs when the two objects come into contact with each other and exert forces on each other.

2. How is the collision of rectangles with masses in 2d space different from a collision in 1d space?

In 1d space, collisions occur between objects moving in a straight line. In 2d space, the objects have more degrees of freedom and can collide at different angles. This means that the forces involved in a 2d collision are more complex and require different calculations.

3. What factors determine the outcome of a collision between rectangles in 2d space?

The outcome of a collision between rectangles in 2d space is determined by several factors, including the masses and velocities of the objects, the angle of collision, and the coefficient of restitution (a measure of how much energy is lost or conserved during the collision).

4. How is momentum conserved in a collision of rectangles with masses in 2d space?

In a closed system, the total momentum before and after a collision remains the same. This means that if one object gains momentum, the other must lose an equal amount of momentum. In a collision of rectangles in 2d space, the conservation of momentum is still applicable, but the calculation is more complex due to the different angles involved.

5. Can the outcome of a collision between rectangles in 2d space be predicted?

The outcome of a collision between rectangles in 2d space can be predicted using mathematical models and equations, but it may not always be accurate due to factors such as friction and external forces. Additionally, the exact position and velocity of the objects at the time of collision may also affect the outcome.