Collision of Two Objects on Ice

In summary, the conversation is about determining the weight of an object that would remain stationary when hit with a 6oz puck at various speeds on smooth ice. The object in question is 72 inches wide, 4 inches deep, and 4 inches tall, and the main factor to consider is the coefficient of friction. However, it is difficult to determine this theoretically and would require gathering data from the set-up. Other suggestions for improving the chances of the object staying put include using a rubber or cloth band around it.
JMS10
hi, I apologize if this question is placed in the wrong area. I was not sure where it belonged. Can someone please help me with the following:

Assuming the ice is very smooth, like that of your standard indoor hockey arena, how much much would an object have to weigh to remain stationary when hit with a 6oz puck traveling 100mph? 75mph? 50mph? and 25mph?

I don't know if it matters, but the object being struck would smooth on the surface that touches the ice, and would be 72 inches wide, 4 inches deep, and 4 inches tall.

Thank you in advance for any and all help you're able to provide! I appreciate you taking the time!

Physics news on Phys.org
JMS10 said:
hi, I apologize if this question is placed in the wrong area. I was not sure where it belonged. Can someone please help me with the following:

Assuming the ice is very smooth, like that of your standard indoor hockey arena, how much much would an object have to weigh to remain stationary when hit with a 6oz puck traveling 100mph? 75mph? 50mph? and 25mph?

I don't know if it matters, but the object being struck would smooth on the surface that touches the ice, and would be 72 inches wide, 4 inches deep, and 4 inches tall.

Thank you in advance for any and all help you're able to provide! I appreciate you taking the time!
What conservation laws are you aware of that might be appropriate?

None! Sorry, but I am clueless in this field. I am a youth hockey coach trying to create a tool to use in a drill to help develop young players.

JMS10 said:
None! Sorry, but I am clueless in this field. I am a youth hockey coach trying to create a tool to use in a drill to help develop young players.

Your problem can only be solved by gathering some data from your set-up and then you can apply some physics. The main factor is how much your object will grip the ice (this is called the coefficient of friction). There is no theorectical way to determine this. You would have to measure this quantity - in the same way that you have to measure the weight of your object and the weight of the puck.

JMS10 said:
Friction on ice is complicated, and the static friction might even depend on how long the object was standing on the ice. The max force in collision is also not easy to determine accurately. So as others said, you have to try it out.

One thing that should improve your chances of its staying put is to have a rubber or cloth band around it. That will spread the impulse over a longer period, reducing the peak force.

Related to Collision of Two Objects on Ice

1. What is the physics behind the collision of two objects on ice?

When two objects collide on ice, the force of the impact will depend on the masses of the objects, their velocities, and the coefficient of friction between the objects and the ice. The collision can also cause the objects to rotate or slide on the ice, depending on the angle and direction of the impact.

2. Why do objects slide farther on ice compared to other surfaces?

Ice has a low coefficient of friction, meaning there is less resistance to motion compared to other surfaces. This allows objects to slide farther with less force or energy, making it easier for them to continue moving after a collision.

3. How does the temperature of the ice affect the collision of two objects?

The temperature of the ice can affect the collision in several ways. Warmer ice will have a higher coefficient of friction, meaning there will be more resistance to motion and objects may not slide as far. Colder ice can also become more brittle and shatter upon impact, altering the force and direction of the collision.

4. Can the shape or size of the objects affect the outcome of the collision on ice?

Yes, the shape and size of the objects can greatly impact the collision on ice. Objects with a larger surface area will experience more resistance and may not slide as far. The shape of the objects can also affect the angle and direction of the collision, which can alter the resulting force and motion.

5. How is momentum conserved in a collision on ice?

Momentum is conserved in a collision on ice according to the law of conservation of momentum. This means that the total momentum of the two objects before and after the collision will be equal. In other words, the objects will exchange momentum during the collision, but the total momentum of the system will remain constant.