Collision problem cant figure it out

In summary: You don't have to plug in a mass or 9.8 m/s^2 into the formula. That is the velocity the ball would have after the collision.
jjf5122
Question: A ball of mass m is suspended from a string of length l. A lump of clay of mass 3m is thrown horizontally at the ball w/ a speed of v0 making a direct hit and sticking to it. Find the speed of the combined object right after the collision, and how high it rises.

Answer: 3/4vo 9/32(v0*v0/g)

the answer is given but i need to know how this problem is actually solved. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to solve using conservation laws?

the book i was given for this class shows barely anything at all in it. I don't really know where to begin. The only equation given in this entire chapter relating to a inelastic equation (which I am assuming this collision is) would be>>>>>> m1v1+m2v2=(m1+m2)v' however...where does a distance come into this ie. lenth of the height? And how woud i actually utalize this equation when almost no information is given?

First, use that equation (which is a special case of the law of conservation of momentum) to find the velocity the combined mass would be having immediately after collision. Once you have figured out the velocity, use the law of conservation of energy to find the height.

hmm...how do i do that if no actual masses or velocities are given?

v'= m1v1+m2v2/ total mass...but i have no numbers, am i missing something?

Not every problem comes with numbers involved with every quantity. As you can see from the answer, it is a multiple of v0. You know one mass is 3 times the other, and the ball was at rest, initially. Substitute these details into the equation.

awesome i see what u mean. The momentum of the first object is 0 because its at rest. the total mass is obviously 4m therefore: 3m vo/ 4m... the ms cancel leaving 3/4 vo. Ok i get that now. However... what is the conservation of energy formula that i need to solve for the distance?

Have you come across the terms 'kinetic energy' and 'potential energy' before?

Yes but I am confused as to how to actually set this up to work...how do i use the velocity that i got, or do i need to. Am i suppossed to use, delta K + delta Ug(ptoential gravitational force) = 0? And if so...how would i actually set this up?

also... K= mgh
U = -mgh

jjf5122 said:
Am i suppossed to use, delta K + delta Ug(ptoential gravitational force) = 0?
Exactly.

And if so...how would i actually set this up?
also... K= mgh
U = -mgh
Kinetic energy is (1/2)mv2! and U = mgh.

Delta {something} refers to change in the something, usually at two different times. You know what the velocity of the combined mass is after colission. Consider the point to be at the 'zero' height. Now can you solve for the height to which the mass will go to?

Sry this is frustrating for me...wouldnt the velocity i solved for actually be the initial velocity, right after the collosion occured, and the final velocity be 0(because it will come to a stop briefly when it reaches its max height)? So I am still confused as to how this is actually set up.

1/2mv2'-1/2mv2 + mgh'-mgh = 0
0 - 1/2m(3/4vo)2 + mgh' - mg(0)= 0
-1/2m(3/4vo)2 + mgh'
-1/2m(3/4vo)2/mg = -h

this doesn't seem right...do u have any suggestions as to how to set the equation up?

jjf5122 said:
wouldnt the velocity i solved for actually be the initial velocity, right after the collosion occured, and the final velocity be 0(because it will come to a stop briefly when it reaches its max height)?
That is correct.

So I am still confused as to how this is actually set up.

1/2mv2'-1/2mv2 + mgh'-mgh = 0
0 - 1/2m(3/4vo)2 + mgh' - mg(0)= 0
-1/2m(3/4vo)2 + mgh'
-1/2m(3/4vo)2/mg = -h
this doesn't seem right...do u have any suggestions as to how to set the equation up?

Why doesn't it seem right? It's perfect*. You just have to simplify it to get it to look like it is given in your book. *-1/2m(3/4vo)2/mg = -h (If that 2 in bold means "squared," then it's correct). It is customary to denote powers by ^. Example: (3/4vo)^2

2m(9/16)/mg( this is where I am confused...g would be 9.8m/s^2?) if i multiply 4m(9.8) i get 39.2 m^2s^2

none of this seems to reduce down to the answer in my book of 9/32 v0^2/g

Last edited:
[tex]\frac{\frac{1}{2}m\left(\frac{9v_{o}^{2}}{16}\right)}{mg}[/tex]

Does that make more sense?

Last edited:
hmm...so i don't actually have to plug a mass(inthe denominator) or 9.8 m/s^2 into the formula?

FAQ: Collision problem cant figure it out

1. What is a collision problem in science?

A collision problem in science refers to a situation where two or more objects collide with each other, resulting in a change in their motion or properties. This can occur in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

2. What causes a collision problem?

A collision problem can be caused by various factors, such as the speed and direction of the objects involved, their masses and sizes, and the presence of external forces like gravity or friction. These factors determine the outcome of the collision and can make it either elastic or inelastic.

3. How is a collision problem analyzed?

To analyze a collision problem, scientists use the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. These laws state that the total momentum and energy of a system before and after a collision remain constant. By applying these laws, scientists can calculate the velocities and directions of the objects after the collision.

4. What are the different types of collisions?

There are two main types of collisions: elastic and inelastic. In an elastic collision, both momentum and energy are conserved, and the objects bounce off each other without any loss of kinetic energy. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost, and the objects may stick together or deform upon impact.

5. How can a collision problem be solved?

A collision problem can be solved by using the equations of conservation of momentum and energy, along with the initial conditions of the objects involved. It is also essential to understand the type of collision and the forces acting on the objects to accurately solve the problem. Additionally, computer simulations and experiments can also help in solving collision problems.