Column space and nullspace relationship?

In summary, C(A) is all possible linear combinations of the pivot columns of A. N(A) is all possible linear combinations of the free columns of A (if any exist).
kostoglotov
I have just been studying Nullspaces...

I want to make the following summary, will it be correct?

C(A) is all possible linear combinations of the pivot columns of A.

N(A) is all possible linear combinations of the free columns of A (if any exist).

edit: I have a feeling these are insufficient as definitions, but I'll leave it as it is for now.

edit2: I just realized that the second part could give the wrong dimensions for N(A).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a linear transformation, A, from vector space U, of dimension m, to vector space V, of dimension n, the "null space of A" is the subspace of U such that if v is in U, Au= 0. The "column space of A", the span of the columns when A is written as a matrix, is the subspace of V spanned by the columns written as vectors. There is no direct relation between those two spaces (as, one is a subspace of the other) because one is subspace of U and the other is a subspace of V. There is however the "dimension law", that the dimension of the column space (the "rank" of A) plus the dimension of the null space (the "nullity" of A) is equal to the dimension of U. That can be shown by writing a basis that contains a basis for the null space itself plus other vectors that then map to the column space.

HallsofIvy said:
For a linear transformation, A, from vector space U, of dimension m, to vector space V, of dimension n, the "null space of A" is the subspace of U such that if v is in U, Au= 0. The "column space of A", the span of the columns when A is written as a matrix, is the subspace of V spanned by the columns written as vectors. There is no direct relation between those two spaces (as, one is a subspace of the other) because one is subspace of U and the other is a subspace of V. There is however the "dimension law", that the dimension of the column space (the "rank" of A) plus the dimension of the null space (the "nullity" of A) is equal to the dimension of U. That can be shown by writing a basis that contains a basis for the null space itself plus other vectors that then map to the column space.

Yeah, I just realized that combining the columns of A could easily give a vector of the wrong dimensions for N(A).

HallsofIvy said:

So the nullspace is a subspace of the column space...that makes sense.

kostoglotov said:
So the nullspace is a subspace of the column space...that makes sense.
? That's exactly the opposite of what I said in what you quote! I said that if A maps vector space U to vector space V, the column space is a subspace of V and the null space is a subspace of U so that there is NO necessary relationship between the two. I said and you quote: "There is no direct relation between those two spaces (as, one is a subspace of the other) because one is subspace of U and the other is a subspace of V."

Related to Column space and nullspace relationship?

What is the definition of column space?

The column space of a matrix is the set of all linear combinations of its columns. In other words, it is the span of the columns of the matrix.

What is the definition of nullspace?

The nullspace of a matrix is the set of all vectors that, when multiplied by the matrix, result in the zero vector. In other words, it is the set of solutions to the homogeneous equation Ax=0.

How are column space and nullspace related?

The column space and nullspace are related in that the column space contains all vectors that can be written as a linear combination of the columns of the matrix, while the nullspace contains all vectors that, when multiplied by the matrix, result in the zero vector. In other words, the column space is a subset of the nullspace.

What is the dimension of the column space?

The dimension of the column space is equal to the number of linearly independent columns in the matrix. This is also known as the rank of the matrix.

What is the dimension of the nullspace?

The dimension of the nullspace is equal to the number of free variables in the solution to the homogeneous equation Ax=0. This is also known as the nullity of the matrix.