Comaximal Ideals in a Principal Ideal Domain

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, in a principal ideal domain, two ideals (a) and (b) are comaximal if and only if there exists a greatest common divisor of a and b. This means that if (a) and (b) are comaximal, then they are relatively prime and their sum contains the identity element 1, making the sum of the two ideals equal to the entire ring.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Prove that in a prinicpal ideal domain, two ideals (a) and (b) are comaximal if and only if a greatest common divisor of a and b (in which case (a) and (b) are said to be coprine or realtively prime)

Note: (1) Two ideals A and B of the ring R are said to be comaximal if A + B = R

(2) Let I and J be two ideals of R
The sum of I and J is defined as [TEX] I+J = \{ a+b | a \in I, b \in J \} [/TEX]

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Comaximal Ideas in a Principal Ideal Domain

I think you've found the answer on MHF.

Re: Comaximal Ideas in a Principal Ideal Domain

Well ... I am still working on the problem ... but I will be using your guidance regarding the way to progress

At my day job at the moment ... but will use your hint when I return to the problem

Thanks again

Peter

by def, two elements a,b in a PID are relatively prime if there exist, $m_1,m_2 \in $, such
that 1 = $m_1a+m_2b$

now if $a,b$ are relatively prime then

$\{r_1a + r_2b | r_1,r_2 \in R\}$, contains 1, if an ideal contains 1, then that ideal is identical to R.

Now <a> + <b> = $\{g_1a + g_2b | g_1,g_2 \in R\}$

Last edited:

I would start by defining a principal ideal domain (PID) as a commutative ring in which every ideal is generated by a single element. This means that every ideal in a PID can be written as (a) = {ra | r \in R} where a is a single element in the ring R.

Now, to prove that in a PID, two ideals (a) and (b) are comaximal if and only if they have a greatest common divisor, we can use the definition of comaximal ideals given above. This definition states that two ideals A and B are comaximal if their sum A+B is equal to the whole ring R.

So, let us assume that (a) and (b) are comaximal ideals in a PID. This means that (a) + (b) = R. We can then choose an element c \in R such that c = ra + sb for some r,s \in R. Since R is a PID, we know that (a) and (b) are principal ideals and can be written as (a) = {ra | r \in R} and (b) = {sb | s \in R}. Therefore, c \in (a) and c \in (b), which means that c \in (a) \cap (b).

Now, let d be any common divisor of a and b. This means that d \in (a) \cap (b). Since c is also in this intersection, it must be a multiple of d, i.e. c = kd for some k \in R. This shows that d divides both a and b, making it a common divisor.

Conversely, let us assume that (a) and (b) have a greatest common divisor, denoted by d. This means that d \in (a) \cap (b). Since d is in both (a) and (b), it can be written as d = ra and d = sb for some r,s \in R. This shows that c = ra + sb \in (a) + (b), which means that c \in R. Therefore, (a) + (b) = R, making (a) and (b) comaximal ideals.

In conclusion, in a PID, two ideals (a) and (b) are comaximal if and only if they have a

Related to Comaximal Ideals in a Principal Ideal Domain

What is a principal ideal domain (PID)?

A principal ideal domain is a type of commutative ring in abstract algebra that has certain properties, including being a unique factorization domain (all elements can be factored into irreducible elements) and having every ideal generated by a single element.

What are comaximal ideals?

Comaximal ideals in a principal ideal domain are ideals that have no common factor other than the unit element (1). In other words, the greatest common divisor of the generators of the two ideals is 1.

Why are comaximal ideals important in a principal ideal domain?

Comaximal ideals play a crucial role in the structure of a principal ideal domain. They allow for the unique decomposition of ideals into a product of comaximal ideals, which is analogous to the unique factorization of integers in a PID. This decomposition is useful in various areas of mathematics, including algebraic number theory and algebraic geometry.

How are comaximal ideals related to the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem states that if two ideals in a principal ideal domain are comaximal, then the ring formed by taking the quotient of the original ring by the product of the two ideals is isomorphic to the direct product of the rings formed by taking the quotient of the original ring by each individual ideal. In other words, solving a system of congruences with comaximal moduli is equivalent to solving each congruence separately.

Can comaximal ideals exist in non-principal ideal domains?

No, comaximal ideals can only exist in principal ideal domains. In non-principal ideal domains, there may not be a single generator for each ideal, making the notion of comaximal ideals meaningless. However, certain generalizations of comaximal ideals, such as pairwise coprime ideals, can be defined in non-principal ideal domains.