Combinatorics book recommendation.

In summary, the person is looking for an advanced combinatorics book that discusses algebraic methods. They are comfortable with topics such as linear algebra, abstract algebra, real analysis, elementary number theory, and graph theory. They are recommended two books, "Combinatorics Topics, Techniques, Algorithms" by P.J. Cameron and "Hadamard Matrices and their Applications" by K.J. Horadam. They are also given a link to another book by Lint and Wilson.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Hello MHB.
I want to read an advanced combinatorics book. I am well versed in combinatorial methods like counting proofs, Pigeon Hole Principle, criticality, induction, graphs etc. I have good knowledge of undergraduate algebra so I am fine if the book you recommend has some algebraic methods.. in fact I would prefer reading a book which discusses algebraic methods in combinatorics. I am comfortable with the following topics at present:

Linear Algebra
Abstract Algebra
Real Analysis
Elementary Number Theory
Graph Theory

Can someone recommend an appropriate book? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
caffeinemachine said:
Hello MHB.
I want to read an advanced combinatorics book. I am well versed in combinatorial methods like counting proofs, Pigeon Hole Principle, criticality, induction, graphs etc. I have good knowledge of undergraduate algebra so I am fine if the book you recommend has some algebraic methods.. in fact I would prefer reading a book which discusses algebraic methods in combinatorics. I am comfortable with the following topics at present:

Linear Algebra
Abstract Algebra
Real Analysis
Elementary Number Theory
Graph Theory

Can someone recommend an appropriate book? Thank you in advance.

Hi caffeinemachine, :)

These are the books that I have used. Not sure whether these will fit your particular needs though.

1) Combinatorics Topics, Techniques, Algorithms by P.J. Cameron

2) Hadamard Matrices and their Applications by K.J. Horadam

You might be interested in reading >>this<<.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Sudharaka said:
Hi caffeinemachine, :)

These are the books that I have used. Not sure whether these will fit your particular needs though.

1) Combinatorics Topics, Techniques, Algorithms by P.J. Cameron

2) Hadamard Matrices and their Applications by K.J. Horadam

You might be interested in reading >>this<<.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.
Thank you Sudharaka. Peter Cameron's book seems promising. I also came to know about lint and wilson's book because of the link you gave.

Related to Combinatorics book recommendation.

What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that focuses on counting and organizing objects in a systematic way.

What is a good book to learn combinatorics?

One highly recommended book is "Introduction to Combinatorics" by Martin J. Erickson. It covers a wide range of topics and has clear explanations and examples.

Is combinatorics difficult to understand?

Combinatorics can be challenging at first, but with patience and practice, it can be understood by anyone with a strong foundation in basic algebra and logic.

What is the best way to approach learning combinatorics?

It is important to start with a solid understanding of the fundamentals and then progress to more advanced topics. It is also helpful to work through practice problems and seek out additional resources for a deeper understanding.

Are there any online resources for learning combinatorics?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video lectures, interactive tutorials, and practice problems that can supplement your learning from a textbook. Some recommended websites include Khan Academy, Brilliant, and Coursera.