Combinatorics Question: 8-Letter Passwords

In summary, there are (26)^8 + (8 choose 2)*(26)^7 + (8 choose 3)*(26)^6 + (8 choose 4)*(26)^5 + (8 choose 5)*(26)^4 + (8 choose 6)*(26)^3 + (8 choose 7)*(26)^2 + 26 possible eight-letter passwords using the letters A-Z in which up to one letter is allowed to be used more than once.
nyr91188

Homework Statement

How many eight-letter passwords using the letters A-Z are there in which up to one letter is allowed to be used more than once?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I broke the problem up based on repetition of one letter: (26)8 ways with no repetition, (8 choose 2)*26*(25)6 ways with letter repeated once, (8 choose 3)*26*(25)5 ways with letter repeated twice, and so on, until 26 ways with letter repeated 7 times filling all 8 spaces. Adding these 8, gives the total ways.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean _at most_ one repretition?

Maybe inclusion/exclusion would help: Count the number of ways in which you can get exactly 1 repetition, then exactly two repetitions,..., exactly 8 repetitions, and then use inclusion/exclusion starting with 26^8 possible combinations.

That's the exact question from the book. It means either no letters are repeated or one letter can be repeated as many times as you want.

I didn't learn inclusion/exclusion yet so I don't think we are supposed to use it.

So, I counted the ways in which there is no repetition, there is exactly one repetition, exactly 2 repetitions, and so on. Then, I added these up to give me the total ways in which one letter is allowed to be used more than once.

Well, if no letters are repeated, then you are just choosing 8 letters out of 8.

And then you could consider separately cases in which exactly one letter is repeated. You seem to be on the right track on your first post; I can't tell where you're stuck.

Sorry, I'm not really stuck. I just can't ever be sure that I'm even on the right track with these kind of problems. So, I just wanted to get some input to make sure I'm not way off. Thanks for your help.

No problem; if you post your answer in detail, maybe we can see better what (may be) wrong.

I did (26)8 + (8 choose 2)*(26)7 + (8 choose 3)*(26)6 + (8 choose 4)*(26)5 + (8 choose 5)*(26)4 + (8 choose 6)*(26)3 + (8 choose 7)*(26)2 + 26

This is based on no repetition + exactly 1 rep. + exactly 2 rep. + exactly 3 rep. + exactly 4 rep. + exactly 5 rep. + exactly 6 rep. + exactly 7 rep.

For no rep., there are obviously (26)8 ways.
For 1 rep., choose 2 places for repeating digits. Repeating digits can be chosen in 26 ways and the rest of the digits can be chosen in (25)6 ways. Similarly, for the rest up to exactly 7 rep. in which there are of course 26 ways to have the password contain all of the same character.

Related to Combinatorics Question: 8-Letter Passwords

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects in an organized way.

2. How many 8-letter passwords can be created?

The number of 8-letter passwords that can be created depends on the number of characters allowed in the password. If we consider only lowercase letters, there are 26 options for each letter. Therefore, the total number of 8-letter passwords that can be created is 26^8 = 208,827,064,576.

3. Is it possible to have a password with repeating letters?

Yes, it is possible to have a password with repeating letters. In fact, the number of possible passwords increases when there are repeating letters.

4. How do you calculate the number of possible passwords with specific criteria?

The number of possible passwords with specific criteria can be calculated using the fundamental counting principle. This involves multiplying the number of options for each criteria together. For example, if a password must have 2 lowercase letters, 3 uppercase letters, and 3 numbers, the total number of possible passwords would be 26^2 * 26^3 * 10^3 = 175,760,000.

5. How can combinatorics be applied in real-life situations?

Combinatorics can be applied in various fields such as computer science, genetics, and statistics. In real-life, it can be used to calculate the number of possible outcomes in games, determine the probability of a certain event occurring, or analyze data in research studies.