Combinatorics - UEFA Champions League Draw Algorithm

In summary, the problem is to create a draw algorithm for a tournament with 32 teams, with a limit of 5 teams from the same country. The desired outcome is to have pairs of teams that do not come from the same country, and groups of 4 teams with each team coming from a different country. Two possible solutions are to calculate all possible combinations or use a simple algorithm and discard any solutions that do not meet the criteria. However, there are more efficient methods available from the scheduling literature.
crabik

Homework Statement

I need to create a draw algorithm similar to the UEFA Champions League / Europa League draw.

Example:

I have 32 teams, up to 5 teams can be from the same country.

I need to create:
A) pairs (round robin style), no 2 teams from the same country can meet
B) groups of 4 (8 groups each with 4 teams), each team within a group must be from a different country

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Calculate all the possible combinations after each step -> too many combinations.

2) Use a simple algorithm to make the draw then discard a solution that doesn't meet the criteria and redo the draw -> it's a dirtty solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
For B, pick any team at random and assign it to the first group. What other teams are candidates to join the group? (So pick one, etc.)
For A, I'm not quite clear on the requirement. Does every team have to play every other team that's not from the same country? (That would mean a team from a country with more teams would play fewer matches.) If not, how many matches are to be arranged?

For B, pick any team at random and assign it to the first group. What other teams are candidates to join the group? (So pick one, etc.)

This way you may end up in a dead end - 1 spot left but the last team can't be placed there.

For A, I'm not quite clear on the requirement. Does every team have to play every other team that's not from the same country? (That would mean a team from a country with more teams would play fewer matches.) If not, how many matches are to be arranged?

Sorry, I ment like playoffs. You take one team and match it up against another. Team A vs Team B, Team C vs Team D, etc. I don't want to end up with the last pair(s) being from the same country, also I don't want to calculate all the possible combinations after picking a pair to find out if it ends up this way 5 picks later. Well it probably wouldn't be too computationally expensive but I want to add couple more conditions to it (like coefficients) which would make it almost impossible.

It's probably not a trivial question. I'm not sure if this is the right subforum.

Do you want an algorithm to just make some such seeding, or one that selects a seeding uniformly at random? Because to just make some selection is far easier

English is not my first language so I'm not sure I understand the question. I want the algorithm to make a random seeding whenever I need it with whatever input data I provide. I may even add some more conditions later (coefficients, etc.). It needs to be somewhat universal.

crabik said:
This way you may end up in a dead end - 1 spot left but the last team can't be placed there.
True, but I think there's an easy fix. When starting on a new group, if there are G groups left (including this one) and any country has G unassigned teams, you must pick a team from that country. I think it's clear that the number of such countries cannot exceed the number of teams in a group. This shouldn't distort the odds much, since most of the time you won't run into this. (You could test that by simulation.)
Sorry, I ment like playoffs. You take one team and match it up against another. Team A vs Team B, Team C vs Team D, etc. I don't want to end up with the last pair(s) being from the same country, also I don't want to calculate all the possible combinations after picking a pair to find out if it ends up this way 5 picks later. Well it probably wouldn't be too computationally expensive but I want to add couple more conditions to it (like coefficients) which would make it almost impossible.
If you just want one legal pairing up of all teams, that's the same problem but with a group size of 2. But don't you then want further pairings up, this time with the added condition that no two teams should be paired twice?

Hi Crabik, you might be interested in this: ssrn.com/abstract=2424376
It gives the answer to your problem (and also guarantees that the random procedure has the uniform distribution, as suggested by Office_shredder)

crabik said:

Homework Statement

I need to create a draw algorithm similar to the UEFA Champions League / Europa League draw.

Example:

I need to create:
B) groups of 4 (8 groups each with 4 teams), each team within a group must be from a different country

Homework Equations

1) Calculate all the possible combinations after each step -> too many combinations.

2) Use a simple algorithm to make the draw then discard a solution that doesn't meet the criteria and redo the draw -> it's a dirtty solution.
crabik said:

Homework Statement

Example:

I need to create:

Homework Equations

Several methods/algorithms are available from the scheduling literature. See, eg.,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-robin_tournament or
http://www.mathaware.org/mam/2010/essays/FroncekTournament.pdf .

This last paper has quite a bit of theory, and constucts graph-theoretic representations to help with the computations.

FAQ: Combinatorics - UEFA Champions League Draw Algorithm

What is combinatorics and how does it relate to the UEFA Champions League Draw Algorithm?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects in a systematic way. The UEFA Champions League Draw Algorithm uses principles of combinatorics to determine the groups for the teams participating in the tournament.

What is the purpose of the UEFA Champions League Draw Algorithm?

The purpose of the UEFA Champions League Draw Algorithm is to ensure a fair and random distribution of teams into groups for the tournament. This helps to create a balanced and competitive playing field for all participating teams.

How does the UEFA Champions League Draw Algorithm work?

The algorithm starts by placing the highest ranked teams into different pots. Then, teams from each pot are drawn and placed into groups, taking into account certain restrictions such as teams from the same country not being able to be in the same group. The process continues until all teams have been placed into groups.

What factors are considered in the UEFA Champions League Draw Algorithm?

The algorithm takes into account several factors such as team rankings, geographical location, and previous matchups. This helps to ensure a balanced and fair distribution of teams in the groups.

Who is responsible for implementing the UEFA Champions League Draw Algorithm?

The UEFA Champions League Draw Algorithm is implemented by a team of experts from the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) and is overseen by a draw observer to ensure fairness and transparency.

Back