Combining Equations for Lab report

In summary, the student is working on a lab report for frequency vs centripetal force and frequency vs radius. They have two tables with data and have found equations for both graphs. The student is unsure how to combine the equations and asks if they should make another table. The expert suggests creating a third graph and using the equations from the first two to determine the axes. The student then shares their equations and the expert provides guidance on how to graph them to find the relationship between frequency, centripetal force, and radius.
chroncile

Homework Statement

I'm doing a lab report for frequency vs centripetal force and frequency vs radius. I have two tables and I have found the equations for both the graphs. When I combine the equations, should I make another table and how would it look like?

Homework Equations

f = c0.5
f = r-1

The Attempt at a Solution

I have two tables:

Table 1: Centripetal Force and Frequency for a constant radius of 60.7 cm and constant rotations of 10

Centripetal Force (0.1 N) Time Required (0.1 s) Average time (s) Period (for 1 rotation) (s) Frequency (Hz)
Trial 1 Trial 2 Trial 3
0.5 9.17 9.47 9.56 9.40 0.940 1.06
1.0 6.03 6.16 5.89 6.03 0.603 1.66
1.5 5.68 5.69 5.63 5.67 0.567 1.76
2.0 4.86 4.90 4.82 4.86 0.486 2.06
2.5 4.55 4.59 4.53 4.56 0.456 2.19
3.0 4.35 4.21 4.36 4.31 0.431 2.32

Table 2: Radius and Frequency for a constant centripetal Force of 1 N and constant rotations of 10
Radius (0.5 cm) Time Required
(0.1 s) Average time (s) Period (for 1 rotation) (s) Frequency (Hz)
Trial 1 Trial 2 Trial 3
52.2 4.84 4.97 4.66 4.82 0.482 2.07
55.7 5.56 5.68 5.68 5.64 0.564 1.77
61.1 6.01 5.96 5.75 5.91 0.591 1.69
64.9 5.95 6.09 6.01 6.02 0.602 1.66
69.1 6.20 6.30 6.15 6.22 0.622 1.61
75.4 6.87 6.77 6.50 6.71 0.671 1.49

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like an interesting experiment.
I expect the graph of Fc vs f would be curved. How did you find its equation and what equation did you get?
Same for the f vs r graph.
Combining the two equations is kind of tricky; I think a 3rd graph would be quite helpful and the equations you got for the first two would suggest what to put on the axes of the 3rd graph.

For frequency and centripetal force, I got a graph similar to y = ax^b and for frequency and radius, I got a graph that is similar to y = 1/x

When I put them together, I got a linear graph y = x

For frequency and centripetal force, I got a graph similar to y = ax^b
Okay, so is that Fc = af^b or f = aFc^b? You need it a little more specifically. Take a wild guess and try Fc = a*f².
(some people would take a peek at the list of equations for circular motion and notice that Fc = 4π²mrf² so Fc = constant*f² is it!)
You have to check that by graphing Fc vs f² and it should turn out to be a straight line to within experimental error. Maybe you are supposed to estimate your error in measurement and put an error bar or two on the graph. If you get a straight line, then you know
Fc is proportional to f².

for frequency and radius, I got a graph that is similar to y = 1/x
You mean f = b/r, right? You could try graphing f vs 1/r and see if you get a straight line.
I suspect you will have to try f² vs 1/r or f vs 1/r² to get that straight line.

If all that works out you will know f² is proportional to Fc and also that f² is proportional to 1/r. That suggests f² is proportional to Fc/r, and that you graph Fc vs r*f². A straight line there gives you the formula for how Fc varies with r and f.

To combine the equations for frequency vs centripetal force and frequency vs radius, you can create a new table that includes the values for both variables. It would look something like this:

Combined Table: Frequency vs Centripetal Force and Radius

Centripetal Force (N) Radius (cm) Frequency (Hz)
0.5 60.7 1.06
1.0 60.7 1.66
1.5 60.7 1.76
2.0 60.7 2.06
2.5 60.7 2.19
3.0 60.7 2.32
1.0 52.2 2.07
1.0 55.7 1.77
1.0 61.1 1.69
1.0 64.9 1.66
1.0 69.1 1.61
1.0 75.4 1.49

This table allows you to see how the frequency changes with both the centripetal force and the radius. You can use this data to plot a graph of frequency vs both variables, which may provide further insight into the relationship between frequency, centripetal force, and radius. Additionally, you can use this table to calculate the average frequency for each combination of centripetal force and radius, which can help you determine any patterns or trends in the data. Overall, including a combined table can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the relationship between frequency, centripetal force, and radius in your lab report.

Related to Combining Equations for Lab report

1. How do I combine equations for a lab report?

In order to combine equations for a lab report, you need to first identify the variables and units involved in each equation. Then, you can manipulate the equations algebraically to eliminate common variables and combine them into a single equation. It is important to double-check your work and ensure that the final equation makes sense in the context of your experiment.

2. What is the purpose of combining equations in a lab report?

The purpose of combining equations in a lab report is to simplify and consolidate the information presented. By combining equations, you can show the relationship between different variables and make it easier for the reader to understand the overall findings of your research.

3. Can I combine equations from different experiments in my lab report?

It is generally not recommended to combine equations from different experiments in a lab report. Each experiment may have different variables and conditions, and combining equations from different experiments may lead to inaccurate conclusions. However, if there is a clear relationship between the experiments, you may be able to combine equations with caution and proper justification.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for combining equations in a lab report?

Yes, there are some general rules and guidelines for combining equations in a lab report. These include ensuring that all units are consistent, being careful with the manipulation of equations, and clearly explaining the steps taken to combine the equations. It is also important to check for any potential errors or assumptions made in the process.

5. What should I do if I am unsure about how to combine equations for my lab report?

If you are unsure about how to combine equations for your lab report, it is recommended to seek guidance from your instructor or a fellow scientist. They can provide you with valuable insights and feedback on your approach and help you ensure the accuracy and validity of your combined equations.