Combining Parametric Equations

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation for a line and determining if every point on the line satisfies the given equation. One method used is to solve for the parametric t expressions for x, y, and z and plug them into the equation, resulting in the correct answer. Another method involved solving for t and plugging it into the x and y equations, but this resulted in a different plane that the line is in.
robbondo

Homework Statement

Show that every point on the line v = (1,-1,2) + t(2,3,1) satisfies the equation
5x - 3y - z - 6 = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did was solve the equation v by adding the x,z,and z components to get

x = 1 + 2t
y = -1 + 3t
z = 2 + t

So I'm thinking that if I can combine these into one equation that I would end up getting the answer. Problem is I can't figure out how to combine the three equations in an equation with all three variables. I keep getting the function in terms of two variables, or the wrong answer all together. One method I used was solving the z equation for t and then plugging it into the x equation and then the y equation. I tried setting they both equal to zero...

t = z -2
y = 3z-7 y - 3z + 7 = 0
x = 2z-3 x - 2z + 3 = 0

y - 3z + 7 = x -2z + 3

y - z - x + 4 = 0

Obviously this isn't the correct answer. What am I doin' wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just put your parametric t expressions for x,y and z into 5x-3y-z-6. Do you get zero?

Cool... that works. Why didn't my method work also? Is there more than one equation that can solve that parametric equation?

Stupid answer goes here.

Last edited:
Was my algebraic logic correct though? The answer I got was not off by a constant.

Never mind, I'm an idiot. A line doesn't determine a plane. Wow. Your work is fine, it's just you found a plane that the line is in that isn't the plane you started with.

FAQ: Combining Parametric Equations

What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that express a set of coordinates (x and y) as functions of one or more independent variables, typically represented by the parameter "t". These equations are often used to describe the motion of an object or a curve in a two-dimensional plane.

Why do we combine parametric equations?

Combining parametric equations allows us to simplify complex equations and express them in a more efficient form. It also helps us to analyze and understand the relationship between two or more variables.

What are the different methods for combining parametric equations?

There are several methods for combining parametric equations, including elimination, substitution, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate a parameter or solve for a specific variable.

How do we graph combined parametric equations?

To graph combined parametric equations, we can use a graphing calculator or plot points by hand. We can also convert the equations into rectangular form and graph them on a Cartesian plane.

What are some real-world applications of combining parametric equations?

Parametric equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and computer graphics to model and analyze the motion of objects. They are also used in economics and finance to analyze relationships between variables and make predictions.