Combining Physics Degree & MBA: Benefits & Experiences?

In summary: If you are going to purse a business career leading to management, I see that the MBA is becoming the new "ticket to the dance", the same that a bachelor's degree was 15 years ago. You may want to also consider an advanced degree in a field of study that interests you.
Niles
Hi all.

I have read some stuff about how an engineering degree supplementet by a MBA is very valuable. Do you guys have any experience if it is the same with a physics degree?

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
I work with a guy who has a BS in Physics and a MBA and is now working on a Masters in Engineering. An MBA is never a bad choice in this business climate.

I think this depends on the kind of work you want to do. If you eventually see yourself getting involved in management or administration, then I think an MBA is of value. Considering an MBA and a physics undergraduate degree, I think you would be highly marketable because not only would you have management skills, but you would also have a knowledge base in physics and mathematics that is rare in business management. If your goal is to advance in research, it's probably a waste of time.

Choppy said:
I think this depends on the kind of work you want to do. If you eventually see yourself getting involved in management or administration, then I think an MBA is of value. Considering an MBA and a physics undergraduate degree, I think you would be highly marketable because not only would you have management skills, but you would also have a knowledge base in physics and mathematics that is rare in business management. If your goal is to advance in research, it's probably a waste of time.

I agree. An MBA with a physics degree could open up a lot of doors in the business and finance world.

Topher925 said:
I agree. An MBA with a physics degree could open up a lot of doors in the business and finance world.

Absolutely !

marlon

Topher925 said:

It opens up doors in almost all fields, not just the business and finance world. I have friends who work in aerospace, the computer industry etc who have physics degrees and MBA's.

The value of MBAs often depend heavily on what school you get it from. They also tend to be valuable depending on prior experience. Grabbing an MBA from a well known school while working at an industry job could really add some value. Getting an MBA right out of your undergrad from a lesser known school with no work experience is most likely a big waste of time.

marlon said:
Absolutely !

marlon

I read that you work in the financial industry at the moment. For how many years would you say that physicists can still get jobs in financial industry, until financial engineers take over?

And are there any particular things that would be very good to work extra hard on during during undergrad in order to be in high demand in the financial industry as a physicist?

Choppy said:
If your goal is to advance in research, it's probably a waste of time.

Of course, if you want to advance research (as opposed to advancing in research) getting into the administration will allow you to open more doors for scientists who are held back by bureaucracy... if just one socially intelligent scientist at every university took one for the team and did that...

Niles said:
And are there any particular things that would be very good to work extra hard on during during undergrad in order to be in high demand in the financial industry as a physicist?

While Marlon will undoubtedly have valuable information as well, if I were you I'd spend some time http://jobs.phds.org/quantitative-finance" , if you haven't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should you really have a technical background before getting an MBA??

I have a BS in physics and am currently working on an MBA and an ME in polymer science. It's been my experience that my degree in physics didn't adequately prepare me for the business world. It's also been my unfortunate experience that many hiring managers don't know what a physics degree is.

If you are going to purse a business career leading to management, I see that the MBA is becoming the new "ticket to the dance", the same that a bachelor's degree was 15 years ago. You may want to also consider an advanced degree in a field of study that interests you.

Related to Combining Physics Degree & MBA: Benefits & Experiences?

1. What are the benefits of combining a physics degree with an MBA?

Combining a physics degree with an MBA can provide a unique and valuable skill set that is highly sought after in various industries. The analytical and problem-solving skills developed in a physics degree can be applied to business situations, while an MBA can provide a strong foundation in business principles and management. This combination can lead to a diverse range of career opportunities and potential for higher salaries.

2. Will a physics degree be helpful in pursuing an MBA?

Yes, a physics degree can be very helpful in pursuing an MBA. The critical thinking skills, mathematical abilities, and analytical mindset developed in a physics degree can be directly applied to the business world. Additionally, having a background in a STEM field can set you apart from other MBA candidates and make you a valuable asset in the business world.

3. What industries can I work in with a combined physics degree and MBA?

The possibilities are almost endless! Some common industries for individuals with this combination include finance, consulting, technology, healthcare, and even renewable energy. However, the skills gained from a physics degree and an MBA are transferable to many other industries, so the options are not limited to these fields.

4. What are some potential challenges with pursuing both a physics degree and an MBA?

One potential challenge could be the time and financial commitment required for both degrees. Pursuing these degrees simultaneously may be more demanding and may require a longer time frame to complete. Additionally, balancing the technical and analytical coursework of a physics degree with the business-focused curriculum of an MBA may be challenging for some individuals.

5. Can I get into a top MBA program with a physics degree?

Absolutely! Many top MBA programs value diverse backgrounds and look for candidates with unique skill sets. A physics degree can demonstrate strong quantitative abilities, critical thinking skills, and a strong work ethic, all of which are highly valued in the business world. It is important to also have a strong GMAT or GRE score, professional experience, and compelling personal statement to increase your chances of getting into a top MBA program.