Combustion temperature and pressure

In summary, the engine's designer is trying to determine the conditions before and after the power stroke in order to calculate pressure and temperature. The pressure is observed to be much higher than what is predicted by thermodynamic calculations.
yousaf nasir
hi
i have a cylinder whose volume, intake and exhaust area is known. i know the amount of air entering into the combustion chamber(cylinder) and the amount of fuel entering into the combustion chamber. i am taking an ideal approach and assuming stoichiometric combustion (LPG). is there any formulation or method for me to find out temperature, pressure or anyone of these properties in combustion chamber?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are the intake and exhaust closed during the combustion? Is the volume of the cylinder constant during the combustion? Have you had a course in thermodynamics yet?

it is a pulsejet (valveless type) and i am an engineering student, so yes i have attended the course. it is a constant volume combustion because the cycle momentarily stops and at that moment combustion occurs, so yes we can say that intake and exhaust are closed because there is no flow at that moment. i know how to get the adiabatic flame temperature for constant volume through which i can get pressure but through various research papers and blogs i know the compression ratio remains in range of 1.2-1.3. if i follow the correct method through wihich i find enthalpies of products and reactants, the pressure it shows is quite large ( way off ) than the experimental values. i want to know what to do

I don't have much experience in this area, but I'll try to help. It's hard to know what the problem is without knowing more of the details. Are you trying to determine the conditions before the power stroke or at the end of the power stroke? Is that where you have the measurements of the pressure and temperature? What do you estimate for the pressure and what is the observed value? Can you provide a sample calculation?

Chet

Pulse jets work on a modified Lenoir cycle

There are many research studies relating to the thermodynamics and practical design of pulse jets .

There is a modern day resurgence of interest in this type of engine .

Last edited:
Just as a point of interest pulse jet like combustion can occur as an unwanted effect in turbojet engines .

If you are lucky the engine blows out and not much harm done but just a few seconds of sustained pulsed combustion can be highly destructive .

This type of unstable combustion was a significant problem in the pioneer days of turbojet engine development .

Rarely a problem with modern engines .

Related to Combustion temperature and pressure

1. What is the temperature range for combustion to occur?

The temperature range for combustion to occur is typically between 500-1500 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Does the combustion temperature vary for different types of fuels?

Yes, the combustion temperature can vary depending on the type of fuel being burned. For example, wood typically burns at a lower temperature than gasoline.

3. Can the pressure affect the temperature at which combustion occurs?

Yes, the pressure can affect the temperature at which combustion occurs. Higher pressures can lead to higher temperatures and more efficient combustion.

4. What happens if the temperature is too low for combustion to occur?

If the temperature is too low, the fuel will not be able to reach its ignition temperature and combustion will not occur.

5. Is there an ideal temperature and pressure for combustion?

There is no one ideal temperature and pressure for combustion as it can vary depending on the specific fuel and conditions. However, most fuels have a range of temperatures and pressures at which they can efficiently combust.