Common base amplifier exercise

In summary, the conversation discusses a common base circuit with given parameters and asks about finding the dc values of Ibq and Vceq. It is clarified that despite not having a base source, there can still be base current due to the ground being a 0 V source. The route of the current is also explained, with the AC voltage modulating the emitter voltage and causing a change in base current and subsequently, a larger change in collector current. The exercise is completed by finding the dc base current and voltage using the DC equivalent.
Rampart

Homework Statement

In the following common base circuit,β=100.If Vcc=15V, VEE=4V,RE=3.3KΩ, Rc=7,1KΩ find the
Ibq and Vceq(they are related to the dc values of the Q point)

R9x3Xff.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well ah...i mainly want to ask some things.However knowing that i must show my current work,check the pdf.I want to ask at first 2 things:
a)I believe Ibq refers to the dc base current.Now how is it possible to have Base current without a Base source.

I found Ic(=IE) but can i say that Ibq=Icq/β even if i don't have any base source?

b)Also can you please describe me the current's route?I mean Vin is in the area of the emitting diode.The ac voltage goes to The diode E.How does it move pass him,when the diode is reverse biased?

so i would like to get these things cleared out.Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• New Doc 33.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 311
Physics news on Phys.org
Rampart said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Well ah...i mainly want to ask some things.However knowing that i must show my current work,check the pdf.I want to ask at first 2 things:
a)I believe Ibq refers to the dc base current.Now how is it possible to have Base current without a Base source.

I found Ic(=IE) but can i say that Ibq=Icq/β even if i don't have any base source?
Ground is a perfectly good 0 V source :) Remember that the emitter supply is negative.
b)Also can you please describe me the current's route?I mean Vin is in the area of the emitting diode.The ac voltage goes to The diode E.How does it move pass him,when the diode is reverse biased?
The AC voltage modulates the voltage at the emitter. As you might imagine, this will cause a big modulation in the base current since the base-emitter junction behaves like a typical diode where forward current changes drastically with forward bias voltage. The collector current change is even larger since it's β times the base current.
so i would like to get these things cleared out.Thanks in advance.
Hope that helps.

gneill said:
Hope that helps.
Of course it helped sir.First thing in the morning,tomorrow,i will retry.So for now,have a good night.

gneill said:
Ground is a perfectly good 0 V source :) Remember that the emitter supply is negative.

Ok so there is Base current.So i found it by using Ibq=IEq/(1+β).And it is around 0.0099mA.Vceq as found in the pdf is 8.6V.Was this the whole exercise?I mean i just used the DC equivalent.Am i missing something?Ibq isn't the dc base current & vceq the dc voltage?Won't they be found by using only the DC equivalent?

Rampart said:
Ok so there is Base current.So i found it by using Ibq=IEq/(1+β).And it is around 0.0099mA.Vceq as found in the pdf is 8.6V.Was this the whole exercise?I mean i just used the DC equivalent.Am i missing something?Ibq isn't the dc base current & vceq the dc voltage?Won't they be found by using only the DC equivalent?
If the question refers to the currents and voltages using upper-case letters, I and V, e.g., IBQ and VCEQ, then you are being asked to find the Q-point DC values. (Lower-case letters, i and v are, by convention, reserved for AC components due to that AC signal capacitively-coupled to the emitter.)

Your calculations match mine. :)

Last edited:
Likes Rampart

Related to Common base amplifier exercise

1. What is a common base amplifier?

A common base amplifier is a type of electronic amplifier circuit that has the input signal applied at the base terminal of the transistor, the output taken from the collector terminal, and the emitter terminal connected to a common ground. It provides a high input impedance and a low output impedance, making it suitable for amplifying low-level signals.

2. How does a common base amplifier work?

In a common base amplifier, the input signal is applied to the base of the transistor, causing a change in the base-emitter voltage. This change in voltage causes a corresponding change in the collector current, which is then amplified and output through the collector terminal. The emitter is connected to a common ground, which allows for a stable reference point for the amplifier.

3. What are the advantages of using a common base amplifier?

Some advantages of using a common base amplifier include high input impedance, low output impedance, and good frequency response. Additionally, it has a high gain, making it suitable for amplifying low-level signals without significant distortion. It also has a high bandwidth, allowing for a wide range of frequencies to be amplified.

4. What are the applications of a common base amplifier?

Common base amplifiers are commonly used in audio circuits, radio frequency (RF) circuits, and measurement equipment. They are also used in high-frequency communication systems, such as radar and satellite communication, due to their high gain and good frequency response.

5. How can I calculate the gain of a common base amplifier?

The gain of a common base amplifier can be calculated by dividing the change in output voltage by the change in input voltage. It can also be calculated using the following formula: Av = -gm * RL, where Av is the voltage gain, gm is the mutual conductance of the transistor, and RL is the load resistance. Additionally, the voltage gain can be calculated using the following formula: Av = -hfe * RL / (RL + RE), where hfe is the current gain of the transistor and RE is the emitter resistance.