Common Household Nuclear Reactions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a nuclear reaction in a Rube Goldberg machine. The participants suggest using household objects such as smoke detectors, microwaves, and granite countertops, which may emit small amounts of radiation. Other suggestions include using a Geiger counter, a source of beta radiation such as an old CRT TV, or even the human body. However, it is noted that these sources may not emit enough radiation to consistently trigger the machine's mechanisms. The conversation ends with the mention of potassium chloride, a common salt substitute that contains a small amount of beta-emitting potassium-40.
tinacoolman17
I am designing a Rube Goldberg machine and I am trying to incorporate a nuclear reaction. I do not want to split an atom or anything, but I do need something other than a smoke detector or a microwave to use. Is there any household or common object/device that uses a nuclear reaction?

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Microwaves do not use nuclear reactions. The only thing besides a smoke detector may be something that glows in the dark, though probably not anymore - you may need something old.

There's nothing household, but you could get a small test source and a Geiger counter, and set up the rube goldberg machine to lift a shielding block out of the way between them. Then somehow use the counter's reading to set up the next machine.

Oh thank you! I was always told that a microwave had something to do with nuclear reactions.
For the Geiger counter--what could be emitted from the source to make the needle move.

I am kind of bad at physics, I apologize. lol.

Isn't there something to do with beta radiation and bananas?

If so, perhaps the reading from that on a Geiger counter?

Granite countertops can have a little radioactivity -- maybe use that:

http://www.epa.gov/rpdweb00/tenorm/granite-countertops.html

agh, I can't get my hands on a Geiger counter--that would have been perfect too.

My teacher said that there is a very easy way to get a reaction, but she won't tell us what it is... we could use the smoke detector, but we can't get it to go off consistently. We have to have the whole Rube Goldberg machine complete it's task at 60 seconds (no more, no less).

tinacoolman17 said:
My teacher said that there is a very easy way to get a reaction, but she won't tell us what it is... we could use the smoke detector, but we can't get it to go off consistently.

I wonder what happens when you set (the right kind of) smoke detector on a granite countertop...

berkeman said:
I wonder what happens when you set (the right kind of) smoke detector on a granite countertop...

It's like crossing the streams...

Drakkith said:
It's like crossing the streams...

Two drunken blokes with soaked shoes?

I feel like splitting an atom would be easier. lol.

JaredJames said:
Two drunken blokes with soaked shoes?

And then every molecule in their bodies exploded at the speed of light.

Drakkith said:
And then every molecule in their bodies exploded at the speed of light.

Was a very good night.

Just out of curiosity (I don't know much about radiation), would an electron gun be considered a source of beta radiation? (I'm thinking of an old CRT TV).

JaredJames said:
Was a very good night.

Just out of curiosity (I don't know much about radiation), would an electron gun be considered a source of beta radiation? (I'm thinking of an old CRT TV).

I would say yes. It emits electrons, just like beta decay does. Not the same mechanism, but both shoot electrons out.

Drakkith said:
I would say yes. It emits electrons, just like beta decay does. Not the same mechanism, but both shoot electrons out.

In which case, if you have one of those TV's, you have a simple source.

JaredJames said:
In which case, if you have one of those TV's, you have a simple source.

Depends on what the OP needs. An electron emitted from beta decay or the tube in a TV wil not travel more than a few inches through air I believe. So I'm not sure how much good it will do.

tinacoolman17 said:
Is there any household or common object/device that uses a nuclear reaction?

:confused:

OK; you asked for it.
Common salt substitute potassium chloride; a fraction of the potassium is Potassium-40 , a beta emitter, around 1 mev.
see here:

Creator

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Common Household Nuclear Reactions

1. What are common household nuclear reactions?

Common household nuclear reactions are nuclear reactions that occur in everyday household objects or activities. These reactions involve the splitting or combining of atoms, resulting in the release or absorption of energy.

2. Are household nuclear reactions dangerous?

Most household nuclear reactions are not dangerous as they occur in small amounts and at low levels of energy. However, some household objects, such as smoke detectors, contain small amounts of radioactive material that should be handled with caution.

3. How do nuclear reactions occur in household items?

Nuclear reactions in household items occur through natural processes, such as radioactive decay, or through man-made processes, such as in nuclear power plants. These reactions can also be induced through high levels of heat or pressure, as in a microwave or pressure cooker.

4. Is it possible to create a nuclear reaction at home?

No, it is not possible to create a nuclear reaction at home. Nuclear reactions require specific conditions and materials that are not readily available in a household setting. Attempting to create a nuclear reaction without proper knowledge and equipment can be extremely dangerous.

5. How can household nuclear reactions be harmful?

Household nuclear reactions can be harmful if they occur in large amounts or at high levels of energy. Exposure to high levels of radiation can cause damage to cells and DNA, leading to health problems such as cancer. It is important to handle household items containing radioactive material carefully and according to instructions.