"Common" relativistic variables.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two particles traveling relative to each other and the confusion surrounding the word "common". The homework statement involves calculating the common total energy, momentum, and total rest mass of a 3.0 MeV photon and an electron moving in opposite directions at 0.995c. The relevant equations are fundamental relativistic equations.
GravitonDiet
So the thing I have issues with in this problem is that it's about 2 particles traveling relative to each other. Been going though the basics of relativity, relativistic lengths, times, kinetic energy, work and force. But this problem states two particles and I'm not sure how to approach it. The word "common" is where I get confused.

1. Homework Statement

A 3.0 MeV photon is moving in positive x-direction and an electron in the opposite direction at a velocity of 0.995c. Calculate their common total energy, momentum and total rest mass.

Homework Equations

Fundamental relativistic equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect the word "common" is added only to separate from "individual", i.e., you are asked to find the sum of the particle energies.

Related to "Common" relativistic variables.

1. What are "common" relativistic variables?

"Common" relativistic variables are physical quantities that are used to describe objects that are moving at speeds close to the speed of light. These variables include time, length, mass, energy, and momentum.

2. How do these variables differ from classical variables?

Unlike classical variables, "common" relativistic variables take into account the effects of special relativity, which describes how objects behave when they are moving at high speeds. This means that these variables can change depending on the observer's frame of reference.

3. What is the speed limit in relativity?

The speed limit in relativity is the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. According to special relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

4. Can these variables be measured or observed directly?

Yes, these variables can be measured and observed directly in experiments and observations. However, due to the high speeds involved, the effects of special relativity may not be noticeable in everyday life.

5. How do these variables affect our understanding of the universe?

The use of "common" relativistic variables is essential in understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds, such as those in space. These variables also play a crucial role in theories such as the theory of general relativity, which attempts to explain the structure of the universe.