Communication Matrix Homework Problem #10: How to Indicate Arrows

In summary, the communication matrix problem involves labeling rows and columns with "from" and "to" and using "0"s and "1"s to indicate transmission. Arrows are drawn from "x" to "y" if there is a "1" in the corresponding row and column. For this particular problem, there are only two "double-ended" arrows between the three nodes A, B, and C.
h1a8

Homework Statement

Problem #10 here http://i54.tinypic.com/2mn2nwp.jpg

Homework Equations

What is the idea behind a communication matrix and how to indicate the arrows of transmission?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been a math tutor/teaching for many years and have not come across this type of problem. I can't help several students with it simply because I don't know where to start. All I need is some basic idea of what is going on here and I should be fine.

Physics news on Phys.org
The rows are labeled "from" and the columns are labeled "to". Also there are only "0"s and "1"s in the matrix. There is a transmission from "x" to "y" if and only if there is a "1" in "row x, column y" so you draw an arrow from "x" to "y" in that case.

Here, the "nodes" are A, B, and C so draw three points, labled "A", "B", and "C" and draw the arrows as I said above. For this particular problem you should have just two "doubleended" arrows.

HallsofIvy said:
The rows are labeled "from" and the columns are labeled "to". Also there are only "0"s and "1"s in the matrix. There is a transmission from "x" to "y" if and only if there is a "1" in "row x, column y" so you draw an arrow from "x" to "y" in that case.

Here, the "nodes" are A, B, and C so draw three points, labled "A", "B", and "C" and draw the arrows as I said above. For this particular problem you should have just two "doubleended" arrows.

Thanks! I got it.

FAQ: Communication Matrix Homework Problem #10: How to Indicate Arrows

1. What is the purpose of indicating arrows in the communication matrix?

The arrows in the communication matrix represent the direction of communication between two entities. This helps to clarify the relationship between the entities and the flow of information.

2. How do I indicate arrows in the communication matrix?

To indicate arrows, draw a line with an arrowhead pointing in the direction of communication between the two entities. You can also use symbols or letters to represent the arrows, as long as they are clearly defined in the communication matrix legend.

3. Can I use different types of arrows in the communication matrix?

Yes, you can use different types of arrows in the communication matrix to represent different types of communication. For example, a solid line with an arrowhead can represent a one-way communication, while a double-headed arrow can represent a two-way communication.

4. How do I label the arrows in the communication matrix?

The arrows in the communication matrix should be labeled with the type of communication they represent. This can be done using a symbol or letter, or by including a legend that explains the meaning of each arrow.

5. Why is it important to indicate arrows in the communication matrix?

Indicating arrows in the communication matrix helps to make the relationships and flow of information between entities clear and easy to understand. This can prevent confusion and ensure effective communication within a project or organization.