Communitative ring, map R / ( I /\ J) -> R/I x R/J

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Map Ring
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence and properties of a map from a commutative ring R with ideals I and J to the direct product of the quotient rings R/I and R/J. It is shown that this map is well-defined, injective, and surjective under the condition that I + J = R. The Chinese Remainder Theorem is also mentioned as a special case of this result.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Commutative ring, map R / ( I /\ J) -> ( R/I ) x ( R/J )

I quote an unsolved question posted in MHF (November 25th, 2012) by user needhelp2.

Say that R is a commutative ring and the I and J are ideals. Show that
the map : R=(I intersection J) maps to R/I R/J given by (r + (I intersection J)) maps to (r + I; r + J) is
well defined and is an injection. Show further more that is a surjection if and
only if I + J = R.

P.S. Communicative note: Of course I meant in the title, commutative instead of communitative.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you mean [tex]\phi:R\;/\;(I\cap J) \to (R\;/\;I)\times (R\;/\;J),\;\phi(r+I\cap J)=(r+I,r+J)[/tex]

(a) [tex]\phi[/tex] is well defined. Suppose [tex]r+I\cap J=r'+I\cap J[/tex], this implies [tex]r-r'\in I\cap J[/tex], that is [tex]r-r'\in I[/tex] and [tex]r-r'\in J[/tex]. As a consequence [tex]r+I=r'+I[/tex] and [tex]r+J=r'+J[/tex] or equivalently, [tex](r+I,r+J)=(r'+I,r'+J)[/tex]: the image does not depend on the representants.

(b) [tex]\phi[/tex] is injective. Suppose [tex]\phi(r_1+I\cap J)=\phi(r_2+I\cap J)[/tex] then, [tex](r_1+I,r_1+J)=(r_2+I,r_2+J)[/tex], hence [tex]r_1-r_2\in I[/tex], [tex]r_1-r_2\in J[/tex] or equivalently [tex]r_1-r_2\in I\cap J[/tex] which implies [tex]r_1+I\cap J=r_2+I\cap J[/tex]: [tex]\phi[/tex] is injective.

(c) [tex]\phi[/tex] is a surjection [tex]\Leftrightarrow\; R=I+J[/tex].

[tex]\Rightarrow)[/tex] Let [tex]s\in R[/tex], as [tex]\phi[/tex] is a surjection there exists [tex]r\in R[/tex] such that [tex]\phi(r+I\cap J)=(0+I,s+J)[/tex], that is [tex]r+I=0+I[/tex] and [tex]r+J=s+J[/tex]. This implies [tex]r\in I[/tex] and [tex]s-r\in J[/tex], so [tex]s=r+j[/tex] with [tex]r\in I[/tex] and [tex]j\in J[/tex]. As a consequence [tex]I+J\subset R\subset I+J[/tex], or equivalently [tex]R=I+J[/tex].

[tex]\Leftarrow)[/tex] (Left as an exercise for the reader). :)

suppose $R = I+J$. then for any $r \in R$ we have $r = x+y$. for some $x \in I, y \in J$.

let $(r + I,r'+J)$ be any element of $R/I \times R/J$.

writing $r = x + y, r' = x' + y'$ we have:

$r+I = (x+y)+I = (y+x)+I = y+I + x+I = y+ I + I = y + I$ and:

$r'+J = (x'+y')+J = x'+J + y'+J = x'+J + J = x' + J$

let $s = x'+y$. then

$\phi(s+(I\cap J)) = \phi((x'+y)+(I\cap J)) = ((x'+y)+I,(x'+y)+J)$

$= ((x'+I)+(y+I),(x'+J)+(y+J)) = (I+(y+I),(x'+J)+J)= (y+I,x'+J) = (r+I,r'+I)$

so $\phi$ is surjective.

oh snap! this is the chinese remainder theorem in disguise, isn't it?

Last edited:
Deveno said:
oh snap! this is the chinese remainder theorem in disguise, isn't it?

A very interesting question. :)

If $R = \Bbb Z$ then the condition $I + J = R$ is equivalent to:

$(a) + (b) = (1)$ that is, a and b are co-prime: gcd(a,b) = 1 (using tacitly the fact that $\Bbb Z$ is a principal ideal domain, which follows from the fact that it is euclidean).

In this case, $I\cap J = (a) \cap (b) = (\text{lcm}(a,b)) = \left(\frac{ab}{\gcd(a,b)}\right) = (ab)$

We can thus conclude that if gcd(a,b) = 1:

$\Bbb Z/(ab) \cong \Bbb Z/(a) \times \Bbb Z/(b)$ a more familiar form of the CRT.

Related to Communitative ring, map R / ( I /\ J) -> R/I x R/J

1. What is a commutative ring?

A commutative ring is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements, a binary operation of addition and multiplication, and two special elements called the additive and multiplicative identity. The addition and multiplication operations must satisfy the commutative, associative, and distributive properties.

2. What does "map R / (I /\ J) -> R/I x R/J" mean?

This notation represents a homomorphism, or a structure-preserving map, between two commutative rings. The map takes elements from the quotient ring of the intersection of two ideals, I and J, in the ring R, and maps them to the direct product of the quotient rings of I and J in R.

3. How is the quotient ring R/I x R/J constructed?

The elements of the quotient ring R/I x R/J are ordered pairs (a+I, b+J), where a and b are elements of the ring R. The addition and multiplication operations are defined component-wise, meaning that (a+I, b+J) + (c+I, d+J) = (a+c+I, b+d+J) and (a+I, b+J) * (c+I, d+J) = (a*c+I, b*d+J).

4. What is the significance of the intersection of two ideals in a commutative ring?

The intersection of two ideals, I and J, in a commutative ring R represents the set of elements that are contained in both I and J. This intersection is important because it allows us to define a homomorphism between the quotient of R by I and the quotient of R by J.

5. Can you provide an example of a commutative ring and its quotient rings?

One example is the ring of integers, Z, and its quotient rings Z/4Z and Z/5Z. The elements of Z/4Z are the remainders when dividing integers by 4, and the elements of Z/5Z are the remainders when dividing integers by 5. The map from Z to Z/4Z x Z/5Z takes an integer n and maps it to (n+4Z, n+5Z).